RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Are SSD's Suitable for a Server? -- New Podcast out by Scott Moulton

Joe_Miner

Just listened to another excellent podcast by Scott Moulton about SSD's in Servers as well as fantastic info on HDD's.  The 1st 15 minutes can be skipped because it's mostly talk about conferences -- then he gets into the meat of the podcast.  Well worth listening to and thinking about IMHO.  I get his podcasts automatically via iTunes but the Apr 14th podcast is also here and Scott's website is here.

Cool podcast. Boot speed still worth it for me and app access. My current 5400 RPM HDD boot and access speeds are abysmal.

Guest no-control

Cool podcast. Boot speed still worth it for me and app access. My current 5400 RPM HDD boot and access speeds are abysmal.

My first question would be why are you booting a server?

Jason, I think no-control is asking why isn't the server just running all the time; why does it need to be rebooted? 'Course, the first answer that comes to mind is because it needs to be rebooted after installing updates, which can happen as often as once a month.

Fair question. Between occasional Windows Updates and periodic tweaking of my server, the boot up time of my server is painfully slow. I admittedly tinker with the box more than most but is as much a learning platform as the heartbeat of my home network.

Even after a reboot, once terminal services have started and I'm able to RDP into the PC, clearly the poor read speeds of current OS HDD causes it to be sluggish until all services have started, etc.

On the 1 N40L I've, so far, set up, I find booting WHS2011 fully takes between 5 & 10 minutes; probably closer to 5 than 10.

Instead of getting way off onto a tangent I think it would be better to listen to Scott's Podcast -- he's got a ton of information in that podcast that is useful to everyone.

Reboots????  That's happens once a month for me.  I think it's around the second Tuesday or so.