RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Movie Storage

geek-accountant

How does everyone store their ripped movie collection? Do you store it on your WHS? Do you use folder duplication?

I have listened to every pod cast since #50 over the last week, so they have kind of blended together for me, but I think I remember Dave saying he stores them on the WHS but does not use folder duplication.

I don't use folder duplication either, but as my collection grows (about 300 DVD's now) I am getting worried about not using duplication, but really don't think duplication is a good long term plan for a growing collection. I have been working on creating an Unraid server, but another running box all the time is something I wish I could avoid. No telling how much I am spending cooling this house with all these machines running.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• JROrtiz

• pcdoc

• geek-accountant

geek-accountant,

I store everything on WHS and for now I use folder duplication on everything including Blu Ray movies. I have about 275 standard DVD's and 77 blu ray movies my servers. Since things are in different folders "Movies" (two servers) or "BD Movies", I can always turn it off selectively if storage becomes a problem. As of now it is not an issue. As far as the growing debate on duplication, I believe that duplication is the way to go for anything you want protected. Anytime you have a second copy of something, you will dedicate addtional space whether it is on a raid server or a duplicated folder. One big difference is a RAID box or server will dedicate storage whether or not you need it where as folder duplication scales and only reserves what it needs. Personally I would not go with the complication of RAID and just decide which movies you want to keep and put those in a duplicated folder and the others not so good or important, in a none duplicated folder if there are storage issues. I went down the RAID road before but not again. In terms of storage, it would be cheaper and better in the long run if you add more drives to your case. From you signature, you have the norco case and that should provide ample storage growth for you. Good luck.

Yea, I love the Norco case, but only in my basement utility room, the thing is LOUD! I currently have only 8 or 9 drives in there and have SATA ports for 16 (8 on MB and a 8 port Supermicro board) so I could easily add more. It just seems like a waste to duplicate 3TB+ of movies, but I would hate to re-rip them.

During my process of building an Unraid server (allows different size drives in the array), I have 5TB of drives ready for that build. But, as the weather gets warmer here in the South, I am starting to re-think adding more boxes and the heat they add. Heck, over the weekend with an outside temp of 75, our bonus room was pretty hot. Two kid computers and an Xbox 360 heating that room up pretty quick, made me start thinking about the added heat, not to mention the power to run them. Of course these servers are not in the bonus room, but it got me thinking.

Still have not made a decision. I might go ahead and build the Unraid server, check it out and then determine if I should keep it or move those drives to the WHS.

I also duplicate everything, including my (albeit slowly) growing library of ripped movies.

Over the past week I decided to rip a few of my old DVD's. I have anyDVD on my server and PC. I installed Brent Friedman's DVD Manager http://blog.compugeeksoftware.com/blog/addins/releases/dvd-manager-v0-0-0-30-alpha/ to help out. Some of it is buggy, I could only choose Folder as the type of ripping. I prefer ISO but then I have to install a DVD mounter for MyMovies, but using Folder as the rip type, play right away.

Anyway when I insert a DVD into my PC, the DVD Manager client starts ripping to my Videos folder on the server. There is no warning that it started or finished, so that's a bit annoying, but it's easy and simple.

I don't use Folder Duplication but I prefer Shares Backup. This way once the DVD's are backed up to my external enclosure, I can turn it off. The DVD's are protected from renaming errors or accidental backups and can be taken offsite.

I'm in the full duplication camp, as I am just too lazy to do anything else. The way I see it, if we're just talking about a waste of disk space, I see that as a cheaper alternative (to me) than a waste of my time doing additional management or maintenance tasks.

Of course if we're talking about protection value, then you want to talk to diehard, since he is dead set against duplication and he will tell you all about it ;)

I think I remember hearing diehard say he didn't use duplication, but I don't know why he is against it or doesn't use it. diehard, do you only use the WHS for backups? If not, how do you protect data stored directly on the WHS if you are not using duplication?

roddy, I understand the waste of time thing. My day job keeps me pretty busy, but playing around with tech stuff is fun to me, so I don't mind spending the time. But I also tend to over think things which is why I am now rethinking the Unraid server. Of course WHS folder duplication is what got me thinking of Unraid in the first place. Yea, I have a problem, but seeing it is the first step to recovery, right.:)

Time for some COD on the 360.

I totally understand about the gearhead angle. I still like to take things apart and put them back the wrong way just to see what happens. However, I try to restrict such activities to equipment my wife will never touch or see, to avoid unnecessary complications. :D

Thanks for starting this thread! I'd love to hear any comments suggestions about my "logic":
1)I keep all of my DVDs (over 350 and rising) as directories ("VIDEO_TS") on my WHS in a shared folder that I created called "DVD Library" and organize them with MyMovies (takes care of all of the metadata, so I don't have to further categorize them w/in the folder).
2)I do NOT use folder duplication on my DVD share (but I use it on my documents, photos, home videos):
*I would likely need to buy even MORE hard drives (I have about 6TB online now) and possibly ANOTHER enclosure.
*I own all of the DVDs, so they are already "backed up". I admit it would be a huge PITA to re-rip everything, but not worth the additional hardware investment at this point.
*I believe that ultimately (measured in years, but not decades), everything will move to SSD. The SSD drives have a MTBF of 200+years (or so I read somewhere). Over time, I will migrate toward this type of storage, and am betting that my DVD Share can last until then.
*When that day comes, the fewer HDDs that I have sitting in my basement that I no longer use, the better.

Like I said, very interested to hear other views as I'm fairly new to this stuff and always like to learn better/more efficient ways of doing things.

My thought is to duplicate everything, why not? I've got a large collection of DVDs (OK, VERY large) and for me to have to go back and re-rip everything? Holy crap! It's worth the $120 or so per 2TB drive (and whatever energy costs that entails to have them all running per month) just to have the peace of mind that it will be very unlikely I will ever need to re-rip anything. Right now, I have over 1,000 DVDs on my server (best thing I ever did by the way... it has totally changed my wife and I's appreciation for our collection of movies... sorting things by genre, actor, director... it's frickin' awesome as opposed to going downstairs and looking at the daunting shelves of movies to try and find the one you'd like to watch that particular night). Of course, I do have a lot of whirring drives (9 internal, 2 external) for a total of around 17 TB of storage. My 2 cents. ::shrugs::