RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving drives from an HP EX487 to an HP N54L

mofsoft

My EX487 is a bit old and I am considering purchasing an HP ProLiant G7 N54L.  My EX487 is still running WHS V1 (with all of the latest updates and refreshes available for V1 from HP and Microsoft).  Has anyone tried simply moving the drives from an EX487 over to an N54L?  I will be moving four 1TB drives from the old to the new.

I looked at the specs in one of HomeServerShow's articles and it looks like the N547 is 246% faster than the EX487 and given the N54L has a video port, it seems like a good move.  Even though WHS V1 is outdated, it has served me well.  I use it as a file server for several home PCs and Macs and then routinely backup the WHS using the built-in software and an external USB drive.

Thanks!

My EX487 is a bit old and I am considering purchasing an HP ProLiant G7 N54L.  My EX487 is still running WHS V1 (with all of the latest updates and refreshes available for V1 from HP and Microsoft).  Has anyone tried simply moving the drives from an EX487 over to an N54L?  I will be moving four 1TB drives from the old to the new.

I looked at the specs in one of HomeServerShow's articles and it looks like the N547 is 246% faster than the EX487 and given the N54L has a video port, it seems like a good move.  Even though WHS V1 is outdated, it has served me well.  I use it as a file server for several home PCs and Macs and then routinely backup the WHS using the built-in software and an external USB drive.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't believe you could easily just move the Drives from your 487 to the N54L and turn it on and have it work.

It is relatively easy to move your data if you install WHS2011 on the MicroServer along with StableBits DrivePool and then use the process outlined by Shane on StableBit's Forums: How To: Migrating from WHS V1's Drive Extender

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the quick reply!  Looks like you have both the EX487 and the N54L.  Are you happy with the N54L?  As for moving the drives, this would be all of the drives, including the OS.  I was assuming that there were similarities in the SATA backplane between the two systems and that when the N54L booted with the WHS V1 OS, it would recognize the OS and the "pool" that WHS V1 DriveExtender had created and simply "carry on".  Is there something in the N54L BIOS that has to be set to let the OS configure the drives as opposed to N54L hardware RAID?

Thanks.

I understood that you were talking about all drives.  Besides the issues associated with the two fundamentally different machines I believe the EULA ties your license of WHS-V1 to the EX487.  WHS-2011 is a 64bit OS based on 2008 R2 Foundation and can be had for as low as $30 though right now I see it at 49.99 at Newegg and DrivePool is $20 though if you have Scanner on your V1 now you can get $10 off drivepool.  It's not worth the effort IMHO to try an port from the 487 to a MicroServer.  The best approach would be to Install a new copy of V1 and move your data to that.   If you have another copy of WHS-V1 and really want to install whs-V1 on on a MicroServer you could look over how DieHard did it at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3633-how-to-windows-home-server-v1-in-ahci-mode-on-a-hp-microserver/ 

I haven't used the HW RAID on any of the MicroServer -- All my ports are AHCI.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Do you have any experience running Windows 8 Pro with Storage Spaces on the N54L?  If I have to leave WHS V1 behind, I'm curious if Win8 is better than WHS 2011 w/ DrivePool ($139 for Win 8 OEM Pro... I see from your post WHS 2011 w/ DrivePool would be only around $70).  

I'm considering the following as an "upgrade".

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 64-bit (Full Version)

$139.99

Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

($119.99 each)

$239.98

BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure

$5.99

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

$109.99

HP ProLiant G7 N54L Ultra Micro Tower Server System AMD Turion II Model Neo N54L 2GB 704941-001

$339.99

Grand Total: $835.94

Edited by mofsoft

That... and with storage Spaces.... you better have a backup of all the data on the "Space", and some data recovery/repair tools ready for when, not if, it fails.