RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OS Back-Up Question

steve053

I'm new to full-blown server administration as I'm migrating from an HP MSS running WHS V1.  Please forgive me if this has been answered, but my searches have not turned up anything conclusive.

I will use a dedicated hdd for the OS.  If I back up the OS to a folder on a Storage Spaces drive, will I be able to use this back up to perform a bare metal restore if the OS drive fails?

If it is possible, how would I find the correct folder when using 3 or more hdd for the storage spaces pool?

TIA for the help.

Steve

Indeed if you want to use the built-in backup tool, this really, really wants to use a dedicated hard-drive (usually you would use one or more external USB drives) for backup. Attach the drive, setup the backup feature and point it at the drive and that's all there really is to it. The backup drive will be formatted and used exclusively for backup purposes. A new incremental backup will be created each night (or whenever you set the schedule for) and will automatically delete old backups as the drive fills up.

By the way I'm assuming that you are migrating from WHS v1 to  2011 or 2012 essentials - otherwise everything I've just typed is complete rubbish!

Now just to confuse you, if you fiddle around with it enough, it is possible to backup to a share on the server itself, but this is a particularly bad idea, firstly if the server does go bang there is a reasonable chance it may well take the storage spaces and your backup with it and secondly doing it this way will not create incremental backups but just a single full backup which gets overwritten each time.

My advice would be to just get a en external USB drive of sufficient capacity, set it all up and then forget about it - well don't actually forget about it, it's best to check from time to time that it is actually working.

John 

By the way I'm assuming that you are migrating from WHS v1 to  2011 or 2012 essentials - otherwise everything I've just typed is complete rubbish! 

He mentioned Storage Spaces so I presume it's WSE2012.

Thank you everyone. Yes I plan on using WSE2012, should have mentioned that in my post.

jmwills - thank you for the link, enjoyed the read.

I will use a dedicated drive that is not part of the storage spaces pool.