RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Gary Pickard

Upgrading disks in an AMD mobo RAID mirror on N40L

ikon

Breaking a RAID-1 should NOT delete the data. If it did, that would basically negate the purpose of RAID-1. It would also be a completely screwed up RAID chipset design. If you have a couple of spare drives, of any size really, you could try setting up a test RAID mirror, copy some data over, then break the mirror and see if the data is intact.

Guest no-control

I don't understand what the problem is. First its not really clear how many drives you have in those 4 bays, I keep seeing 2x 2TB which is only 2 physical drives. but then you mention 2 separate mirrors. Indicating there are actually 4x 2TB drives. If its just a pair of drives obviously insert new 3TB pair into the open slots and copy over. If this is a PAIR of mirrors via the on board RAID controller the process is longer but still simple. Just remove the 2x 2TB drives insert the 3TB drives and restore from backup. Once you verify the data is back on the 3TB drives you can delete the data off the 2x 2TB. Rinse and repeat for the second mirror. I would highly recommend creating the mirror in WHS instead of the onboard controller. Just insert a single 3TB copy data to the drive then insert the second and mirror it.

Now if you don't have a data backup on a portable drive or something, you need to do that first. Before you do any expansion or monkey around with the mirrors.

Gary Pickard

Thanks for all the help - my problem is only having a couple of 1TB external drives so I cannot just backup one of the sets of mirrors, blow these away, drag the data back and then move onto the second set of mirrors to unwind these.  Lesson learned here - have a spare drive to hand big enough to back up the mirror

I am also trying to ditch the moboRAID at the same time and am instead goingg with Stablebit Drivepool to do the duplication/mirror of the critical folders

I am slowly (very slowly) using one of the 3TBs to back up one of the mirrors and then I will kill this and drop in one of the 3TBs and one of the 2TBs to start the new Drivepool off.  Looks like another day's worth of backup at the current rate

ikon

Good luck with it. Please post back with your results.

Gary Pickard

Job finished - phew

This is what I did in the end

Gary Pickard

Let's try that again

Job finished - phew.

1.  Bought a copy of Drivepool so I could avoid the moboRAID but keep mirroring

2.  Pulled one of the first pair of mirrored 2TB WD Greens (giving me a backup)

3.  Added the first 3TB WD Red into the removable drive bay which is connected to the eSATA port

4.  Powered up and started a Drivepool with the 3TB WD Red

5.  Moved the serverfolders that were on the 2TB Green from the first mirror into the Drivepool

6.  Once all these serverfolders were moved I powered back down, pulled this 2TB Green (first mirror) and instead added in the Drivepool 3TB Red and the other 3TB Red to the bays that the first mirrored pair had been occupying.

7.  I then powered back up and added the second 3TB Red to the Drivepool.  I had a quick look in the RAID bios utitlity on booting and it was just treating the the 3TBs as single drives and not trying to build a RAID.

8.  Next I turned on duplication in Drivepool for the serverfolders that I wanted mirrored as I now had the space for this.

9. Once all duplicated and looking safe I powered down again and this time poppoed one of the now spare 2TB Greens from the first (now unwound) mirror into the removable drive bay and pulled one of the second mirrored drives to act as the back up for this mirror.

10.  Back on with the power and this time I added in the old 2TB to the Drivepool after formatting it first.  Now that I had plenty of spare space I moved the serverfolders from the second mirror's disk into the Drivepool.

11. Once all done I then took a small gamble that all had gone well and Drivepool had done its stuff.  I powered back down and added back in the second mirror's other disk and then on rebooting went to the RAID bios
utility and erased both disks and unwound the mirror.  Now I had 4 single disks.

12.  Back into WHS and then I added the 2 x 2TB Greens that I had just erased into the the Drivepool.  That then just left me to remove the 2TB Green that was still in the removable drive bay from the Drivepool.  I had a bit of an issue with removing the 2TB Green from the Drivepool with errrors being thrown up due to very long names on a few files.  I finally managed to move them off the drive using 7-Zip's file manager (thank you Internet) as the WHS file manager was having none of it.

So, after a lot of disk shuffling, I now have a moboRAID free set of drives - 2 x 3TB Reds and 2 x 2TB Greens and with the more selective duplication in Drivepool I currently have a healthy surplus of space.

Thank you all for the help.

Joe_Miner

Let's try that again

Job finished - phew.

1.  Bought a copy of Drivepool so I could avoid the moboRAID but keep mirroring

2.  Pulled one of the first pair of mirrored 2TB WD Greens (giving me a backup)

3.  Added the first 3TB WD Red into the removable drive bay which is connected to the eSATA port

4.  Powered up and started a Drivepool with the 3TB WD Red

5.  Moved the serverfolders that were on the 2TB Green from the first mirror into the Drivepool

6.  Once all these serverfolders were moved I powered back down, pulled this 2TB Green (first mirror) and instead added in the Drivepool 3TB Red and the other 3TB Red to the bays that the first mirrored pair had been occupying.

7.  I then powered back up and added the second 3TB Red to the Drivepool.  I had a quick look in the RAID bios utitlity on booting and it was just treating the the 3TBs as single drives and not trying to build a RAID.

8.  Next I turned on duplication in Drivepool for the serverfolders that I wanted mirrored as I now had the space for this.

9. Once all duplicated and looking safe I powered down again and this time poppoed one of the now spare 2TB Greens from the first (now unwound) mirror into the removable drive bay and pulled one of the second mirrored drives to act as the back up for this mirror.

10.  Back on with the power and this time I added in the old 2TB to the Drivepool after formatting it first.  Now that I had plenty of spare space I moved the serverfolders from the second mirror's disk into the Drivepool.

11. Once all done I then took a small gamble that all had gone well and Drivepool had done its stuff.  I powered back down and added back in the second mirror's other disk and then on rebooting went to the RAID bios

utility and erased both disks and unwound the mirror.  Now I had 4 single disks.

12.  Back into WHS and then I added the 2 x 2TB Greens that I had just erased into the the Drivepool.  That then just left me to remove the 2TB Green that was still in the removable drive bay from the Drivepool.  I had a bit of an issue with removing the 2TB Green from the Drivepool with errrors being thrown up due to very long names on a few files.  I finally managed to move them off the drive using 7-Zip's file manager (thank you Internet) as the WHS file manager was having none of it.

So, after a lot of disk shuffling, I now have a moboRAID free set of drives - 2 x 3TB Reds and 2 x 2TB Greens and with the more selective duplication in Drivepool I currently have a healthy surplus of space.

Thank you all for the help.

Nice Write-up Gary!  I'm going to post a link to it in the "MicroServer Hardware Links" page.

Glad it worked out!