RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is a N40L with 8GB RAM powerful enough for this?

FriedCPU

Hi,

Been reading this forum for a while, and have recently purchased a N40L which I will upgrade to 8GB RAM (until I can get 16GB)

When I first get it I intend todo the following:

1x64GB SSD for OpenIndiana
5x2TB in ZFS RAIDZ1

Running Sickbeard, CouchPotato, rTorrent and SabNZBd along with Samba, AFP, FTP.

I have never used ZFS before, I used to have a Linux RAID5 using mdadm, and twice I have been burned with it losing superblocks and other problems, completely losing my data, most recently 6TB's worth of photos, tv shows and movies.

I have read that ZFS can use alot of RAM, I am hoping the 8GB will be enough for the above setup, but in the coming months I am hoping to purchase one these

http://www.sansdigital.com/towerraid-/tr8mplusb.html

Putting the PCIe 1x card into the N40L and filling it with 8x4TB disks in a RAIDZ2 for 24TB usable or RAIDZ3 for 20TB usable.

if I upgrade the server then to 16GB RAM, would it run all of the above processes + the 2 ZFS pools?

Otherwise has anyone got any suggestions as to what setup would be best if I cannot use ZFS, I am proficiant with Linux systems and willing to learn *nix systems. Do not really want to use Windows for a server, but will if there is a compelling argument todo so.

Thanks for any help :)

FriedCPU

Edited by FriedCPU

No.

It seems like you would be asking a lot of a N40L. Also, you mention losing data on Linux RAID5, keep in mind RAID is not a backup. From what I am reading here, you need two things, media server and backup server. I would recommend splitting that into two separate servers. 16GB and a better CPU would be a good idea. Hardware RAID would help offload CPU cycle and would be more reliable than software RAID, IMO. Maybe you could look at building a ZFS server for your media streaming and a second Linux box to back up the Media server. The SansDigital boxes are nice, but once again you are putting the full load on the N40L. 

Running Sickbeard and SabNZBd consumes almost nothing.  I run them on a Win7 virtual machine with only 2 gigs and the files are dumped over to the server.

I've found disk I/O to be a bigger challenge with sabnzbd. Read/write speeds tend to be bottleneck when uncompressing archives and moving files. Using a physical disk w/ hyper VM is helpful. Though I've eliminated VMs from my home env altogether. All apps run in WS2012e well. Fast box.

Sickbeard and sabNZBd run great on 2012E natively. And it makes it easier to use IIS and ARR to reverse proxy the site. As in make their webUI's accessable as subdirectories on your "Anywhere Access" site. :)