RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 Build critique please

e_merlin

Interesting, I had a WD Black fail last year -- it wasn't a DOA because it lasted 2 months and I did have some warning so I could get my data off of it.

I knew they had to but I have neveral had someone tell me their black has failed so this is a first for me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• e_merlin

• Joe_Miner

Guest no-control

Never had a DOA until buying WD. Now the only WD I will buy is a black. Just hear too many problems with the greens and reds.

fonzsharkjump-300x300.jpg

For those who have had WD failures, it might be interesting to trace back the date of manufacture back to see if it coincides wiht the time just following the floods.

So - quick update.

Everything, but the data drives are on the way.  I went with the G1610 and H77 ASRock board above.  I decided I will use the ICYDock after all with 2 WD 250GB Scorpio drives.  I am going use the intel SSD in new laptop my wife will be acquiring soon - probably the Lenovo Yoga 11s.

I plan on mirroring the the drives in the ICYDock (raid 1 mirroring, dial setting #3???).  The instructions are kinda lame.  After looking at the forums it appears most recommend not using the software, so I will try the instructions.  

I will post some pictures as I move along.  I am assuming I can build the system without the data drives and add the later.  I was going to get 2 of the 4TB Seagates the Newegg had for 159 with a coupon code, but they sold out before I could get them....

Thanks again to all who contributed.

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

First many heartfelt thanks to all of those who helped ikon, jmwills, pcdoc, - a special nod to no-control.  Your candor and recommendations (specifically the G1610) were spot on.  Some of your quips were outstanding.  Really the whole community here is outstanding.  I hope more people (and Microsoft) figure it out can keep this platform alive in some sane fashion.

I thought I would post back after a couple months after deployment.  First, a down and dirty photo of the server nestled in the closet happily churning away.

IMG_05771.jpg

For whatever reasons my build photos have been deleted.  

I also wanted to link to this post I had:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5323-new-server-i-am-choosing-whs2011-over-2012e-am-i-crazy/  This is where I went through some of the discussion and decision making that brought me to WHS2011.

For the record - I very happy with my choices hardware wise and WHS2011.  Everything has been rock solid and, never had a lock up or forced reboot.  Compared to my EX475 this is night and day ahead.  I am running the paid version of Lights Out and use MyMoives - both of which I enjoy and work well.

My next steps.....not really sure.   I am not currently implementing raid of any kind, except the ICOY dock.  I have been listing to BYOB and Mr. Collison over at TAG.  You guys have me thinking about going raid 5 with a controller card and a pile of 4TB drives.  BTW - those seagate 4TB drives (I know it is a short sample) seem to be great.  When they go on sale for 149 seems like a no brainer.

I would like to explore some of the other apps I can run on the server.  I will get to that next.  I am also interested in some of the home automation options for WHS.

On WHS2011 over 2012 essentials - my take - WHS2011 FTW.  I do not have technet - nor with the annual subscription would I.  As I understand it they keys expire after a year now, not my idea of "set it and forget it".  I hear the guys at TAG are considering doing a "domains demystified" show or series soon.  I will listen with interest, perhaps Christian is right, and most of us just need to get over it.  But in summary, cost and complexity kept me away from essentials.  If WHS2011 stays rock solid over time I will hold on as long - I think a 5 year life span would be great ROI on this box -  hope I am being realistic here.  

After that, I hope our friends at MS will supply the community some "home server esq" solution for the masses - I realize this crazy talk, but I can't help myself.  Centralized storage, backup, remote access, media storage, etc... are concepts and functionality every home owner needs and wants even if they don't know they do.  This need in out brave new digital world will only continue to grow exponentially.  Sorry to pontificate here... I just feel strongly about WHS!

Thanks again to all!  I am happy to help or provide any specifics about my build.

Cheers

p.s. Happy fathers day to all out there. 

Edited by e_merlin

Thanks for posting back. Great to read about your experiences, and glad it's all working well. Just one thing I would like to mention: you might want to reconsider about adding too many things to your WHS. I run my server quite clean. The more things that run on it, the more chance for issues. Just my 2 cents...

Hi all-

First many heartfelt thanks to all of those who helped ikon, jmwills, pcdoc, - a special nod to no-control.  Your candor and recommendations (specifically the G1610) were spot on.  Some of your quips were outstanding.  Really the whole community here is outstanding.  I hope more people (and Microsoft) figure it out can keep this platform alive in some sane fashion.

I thought I would post back after a couple months after deployment.  First, a down and dirty photo of the server nestled in the closet happily churning away.

IMG_05771.jpg

For whatever reasons my build photos have been deleted.  

I also wanted to link to this post I had:  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5323-new-server-i-am-choosing-whs2011-over-2012e-am-i-crazy/  This is where I went through some of the discussion and decision making that brought me to WHS2011.

For the record - I very happy with my choices hardware wise and WHS2011.  Everything has been rock solid and, never had a lock up or forced reboot.  Compared to my EX475 this is night and day ahead.  I am running the paid version of Lights Out and use MyMoives - both of which I enjoy and work well.

My next steps.....not really sure.   I am not currently implementing raid of any kind, except the ICOY dock.  I have been listing to BYOB and Mr. Collison over at TAG.  You guys have me thinking about going raid 5 with a controller card and a pile of 4TB drives.  BTW - those seagate 4TB drives (I know it is a short sample) seem to be great.  When they go on sale for 149 seems like a no brainer.

I would like to explore some of the other apps I can run on the server.  I will get to that next.  I am also interested in some of the home automation options for WHS.

On WHS2011 over 2012 essentials - my take - WHS2011 FTW.  I do not have technet - nor with the annual subscription would I.  As I understand it they keys expire after a year now, not my idea of "set it and forget it".  I hear the guys at TAG are considering doing a "domains demystified" show or series soon.  I will listen with interest, perhaps Christian is right, and most of us just need to get over it.  But in summary, cost and complexity kept me away from essentials.  If WHS2011 stays rock solid over time I will hold on as long - I think a 5 year life span would be great ROI on this box -  hope I am being realistic here.  

After that, I hope our friends at MS will supply the community some "home server esq" solution for the masses - I realize this crazy talk, but I can't help myself.  Centralized storage, backup, remote access, media storage, etc... are concepts and functionality every home owner needs and wants even if they don't know they do.  This need in out brave new digital world will only continue to grow exponentially.  Sorry to pontificate here... I just feel strongly about WHS!

Thanks again to all!  I am happy to help or provide any specifics about my build.

Cheers

p.s. Happy fathers day to all out there. 

Which ASUS router do you have and how is it compared to what you had?

Concerns over Essential can be put to rest, IMO, when R2 is released.  Most people forget all the issues with 2011 when it was first released. 

@jmwills

The router is an Asus RT-N66U.  I am in the systems integration business and implement a wide range of systems including Pakedge and access networks products.  Our systems go into everything from homes to light commercial, to outdoor venues like zoos.

IMHO - the RT-N66U is simply the best consumer or even prosumer (see Merlin firmware for commercial esq features) I have found.  We retail the Dlink, Neatgear, Apple, all the usual suspects.  The Asus trounces them in our experience (range and throughput) and has a better up time log than any brand we have deployed in the consumer class.  The Packedge stuff would be the next level up and is outstanding - based on Forinet product.  Note:  we are having some issues with the new AC66U.  I would hold off until the firmware gets sorted let alone the standard get ratified....  It works well, but be prepared to tinker.  Also, we have seen better WIFI range in the 2.4 band and 5 Ghz with the N version.

Hope this helps.

Tom