RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 Build critique please

e_merlin

Based on what? You prefer the color red?

Based on poor experience with Greens over a number of years and, so far, better with Reds (I do like the colour red better than green too ;))

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• e_merlin

• Joe_Miner

-snip-

For the system drive, if you already have it, use the SSD. Use the icydock to wedge open a door or something useful. For the data drives given those 2 choices I would get the 4TB drives. If this was my server I would use the Green 3TB WD drives. Nothing about the red drives offers a $40 benefit over the green in a server.

I would go with the Green drives also.  The $40 benefit isn't there for the the reds IMHO.

I have 2 3TB greens in a mirror in my desktop, 4 x 2TB greens in my 487, and another 4 x 2TB + 2 x 1TB + a 1.5TB greens that I use for backup drives.  They are good drives for the price.  The 4TB's were on sale recently for $15? (check the deals Thread and if you haven't done it yet get yourself signed up to get alerts when deals are posted) -- I think they'll be below $150 easy before the end of the year -- I wouldn't pay current prices for them  unless I had to.

The only other issue I see -- with your 120GB SSD it's going to take some extra work to install WHS-2011 onto it because the OS will want to install on a 160GB drive and not something smaller -- something to be aware of -- there are threads and blogposts on how to work around that issue.

Guest no-control

Copy paste this into a txt file named cfg.ini then add it to the boot image. Obviously replace the info below with your own

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=70

[initialConfiguration]
Language=en-US
Locale=en-US
Country=US
Keyboard=00000409
AcceptEula=true
CompanyName=BYOB, Ltd
ServerName=BYOB
DNSName=BYOB.local
NetBIOSName=BYOB
UserName=Admin
PlainTextPassword=P@55word
StdUserName=Mike
StdUserPlainTextPassword=MyP@ssw0rd
Settings=All

Edited by no-control

I would go with blacks if I was spending your money.

But seriously, stay away from greens unless you like replacing hard drives. I have no experience directly with them as I don't care for WD but based on posts here, the greens fail often, but so have the reds. I don't use either.

Guest no-control

I would go with blacks if I was spending your money.

But seriously, stay away from greens unless you like replacing hard drives. I have no experience directly with them as I don't care for WD but based on posts here, the greens fail often, but so have the reds. I don't use either.

Wow....just wow

• Like 1

Other than a single DOA, I haven't had a Red fail yet.

I've always considered that if it does not work -- that is a failure.

The only DOA I had in the last 28 year was also a Red.  My 1st DOA was a Seagate ST-251.   

Never had a DOA until buying WD. Now the only WD I will buy is a black. Just hear too many problems with the greens and reds.

I've always considered that if it does not work -- that is a failure.

The only DOA I had in the last 28 year was also a Red.  My 1st DOA was a Seagate ST-251.   

I wasn't trying to suggest the DOA isn't a failure; it is. That's why I said 'other than'.

Never had a DOA until buying WD. Now the only WD I will buy is a black. Just hear too many problems with the greens and reds.

The WD RE drives have also proven very reliable for me. I have 4x2TB RE4s as my main WHS2011 Data Pool. I've never had a single RE failure. 'Course, they do cost more.

Interesting, I had a WD Black fail last year -- it wasn't a DOA because it lasted 2 months and I did have some warning so I could get my data off of it.