RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New server - I am choosing WHS2011 over 2012E - Am I crazy?

e_merlin

Hi,

I have come to a conclusion (over spending too much time thinking about it) to build a new server and use WHS2011.  It did not start that way.  I was ready to go the 2012E route but now I am not so sure.  Here are my thoughts, and would like some feedback. 

1. Avoid updating my clients to a "domain version" as required to get full 2012E functinoality - I do realize I can make them work.
  2. Avoid the AD/Domain complexity issues completely
  3. Based on comments here and elsewhere - I am going with Stable Bit over storage spaces in either case
  4. WHS2011 now has support for GPT windows 8 machines - http://support.micro....com/kb/2781272
  5. I maintain the "move recorded TV functionality to the server

6. A somewhat larger add-inn pool of programs 

7. COST - $49 VS $449 = 400 savings to put into hardware

8. Easier to run on my old hardware - that is sitting new in a box.  I have an older AMD E350 ASUS board that I intended to use...  

I should also mention I still have a WHSv1 running - or I should say limping along.  My little HP has served me well.  

So - I have read that many people feel that 2012 is simply better software.... I know the backups in 2012E are faster, but in my environment I can handle that. Am I crazy?  I did post a similar thread over at WGS, but wanted some opinions here.  I will have some hardware questions soon after I make my decisions.  I have some new hardware that has been sitting in a box that needs to get put into service!

Thanks,
Tom 

Hi,

I have come to a conclusion (over spending too much time thinking about it) to build a new server and use WHS2011.  It did not start that way.  I was ready to go the 2012E route but now I am not so sure.  Here are my thoughts, and would like some feedback. 

1. Avoid updating my clients to a "domain version" as required to get full 2012E functinoality - I do realize I can make them work.
  2. Avoid the AD/Domain complexity issues completely
  3. Based on comments here and elsewhere - I am going with Stable Bit over storage spaces in either case
  4. WHS2011 now has support for GPT windows 8 machines - http://support.micro....com/kb/2781272
  5. I maintain the "move recorded TV functionality to the server

6. A somewhat larger add-inn pool of programs 

7. COST - $49 VS $449 = 400 savings to put into hardware

8. Easier to run on my old hardware - that is sitting new in a box.  I have an older AMD E350 ASUS board that I intended to use...  

I should also mention I still have a WHSv1 running - or I should say limping along.  My little HP has served me well.  

So - I have read that many people feel that 2012 is simply better software.... I know the backups in 2012E are faster, but in my environment I can handle that. Am I crazy?  I did post a similar thread over at WGS, but wanted some opinions here.  I will have some hardware questions soon after I make my decisions.  I have some new hardware that has been sitting in a box that needs to get put into service!

Thanks,

Tom 

I would make the same choice.  Still "playing" with 2012e but not ready to go for it yet.

I love WS2012E over WHS 2012, but if I hadn't had Technet access, not sure whether I would've been brave enough to experiment. For one, WS2012E seems to be far more stable as WS2012, alone, was more stable than WS2008R2 on my newer hardware. Perhaps attributed to driver support. Not that there's anything wrong with WHS2011...

Since I have switched from domains to home server 2011, I don’t miss domain and policy management at all. There is just too much granularity for home use. The only thing I miss is DHCP and DNS server. Nice features if you want to run a routed network with vlans or multiple routers.

So I understand your decision.