GWizITBiz

Remote access works for a few days then fails

5 posts in this topic

When I set up remote web access through "server settings" on the dashboard, remote access works great for a few days, then the next time I try using remote access I get a "this page can't be displayed" error message in my browser. When I get home, I'll go back into "server setting" / "remote web access" and will see "remote web access" updating...; then it will display "The router is not working". I click "repair" and after a few minutes will see "remote web access was repaired successfully". Then I'm good for another couple of days of remote access, until I once again lose remote access and start this process over again.

I'm using a D-Link DIR-625 router with cable internet, and am using a MS homeserver domain.

I would like to understand what's changing and how it's changing. Most of all, I want to fix remote access permanently.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have a static IP allocated to your server on your router?

Lots of things could be happening but before I would start tinkering with the server, work on the network side of the issue.  Check the cabling (replace it), assign a DHCP reservation for the server and then hard code that address into the NIC.  Check the firmware on the router and if it is out date, bring it up to date.

Do this and let it sit for a few days.  If the problem still exists, then we can look at the server.

^^ What he said. Additionally, it's possible your WAN (the one you get from your ISP) is changing every couple of days and the server is trying to update the MS Home Server Domain.

Do you have a static IP allocated to your server on your router?

Yes, I have "reserved" my server's IP address in the router.