RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Where's the media?

ITmaster

I have just installed the Media Centre Connector on my Windows 7 machine and successfully connected it to but when opening the WHS tab, all I can do is manage the partitions and users etc. I cant find any media folders? I have this option enabled in the WHS console???

Thanks,

ITMaster! :)

ITmaster,

If I understand your question, you might be missing a couple of steps. Also, did you install the connector software or are you running without it.
- Make sure that you windows 7 system has a user name and password and make sure that WHS is setup to allow that system to log in.
- Create a folder to store the media on WHS or enable media sharing in the WHS Console and use the default "video", "Music", and "Photo" folders to copy content. It is usally best to use a separate folder for things like DVDs and blu ray (IMO).
- If you use a custom folder remember to check the properties and make sure that the system has rights to that folder. You have have to use the manage libraries function to add the folder to your windows media center for it to recognize it. Any custom folders other than the standard ones are not recognized unless you add them.

This is just a basic check list but if you could expand on what you did, types of files you are trying to view, and how you set it up it would help answer the question. It sounds allot like a user name/permissions/sharing issue. It does not sound like your new system has the right access to WHS.

HI there, I installed the WHS connector and then the Media Centre connector. My machine has one logon with a password so I added this to the user list in the WHS console. I then enabled Windows Media Centre in the Settings of the WHS console and enabled media sharing on all three folders. I opened up Media Centre after restarting and all I get is TV Archive or Console View???
Thanks

If you go to that PC's desktop, and go to "networks", do you see you server and can you access any of the folders from the desktop? As an additional test, create a folder in WHS, set the users rights to full, copy a couple video files to it. Go to media center and add it to the media center library and see if they show up under videos. It still sounds like there is an access issue and we need to narrow down on the variables.