RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Automatically Connect to VPN in WSE 2012

itGeeks

I was wondering if anyone has come up with any sound way to automatically connect to the built in vpn?? I have been struggling with this a longtime. I did make a schedule task that works most of the time but its not perfect.

Thank you,

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• jmwills

• Jason

Not sure I follow.  VPN should be live all the time.  Can you explain more about what you are trying to do.

Not sure I follow.  VPN should be live all the time.  Can you explain more about what you are trying to do.

Hi Mike,

I agree with you 100% that's y I don't understand y Microsoft does not have an option for auto connect on the built in VPN for WSE 2012. Let me see if I can explain, When you install the connector on a Windows 8 Pro computer it sets up a vpn connection for us to use but it will not auto connect or re-connect if the connection is lost. I can not rely on my family members that are off-site to press the connect vpn button every time they login so that there computers get backed up and so they have access to the shares on the server, I am using the domain and folder redirection on WSE 2012 and having a big headache because the VPN wont connect without use intervention to connect to the vpn, y does Microsoft only go 3/4 of a mile when they do things?? I hope now you understand what my trouble is.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

Hi Mike,

I agree with you 100% that's y I don't understand y Microsoft does not have an option for auto connect on the built in VPN for WSE 2012. Let me see if I can explain, When you install the connector on a Windows 8 Pro computer it sets up a vpn connection for us to use but it will not auto connect or re-connect if the connection is lost. I can not rely on my family members that are off-site to press the connect vpn button every time they login so that there computers get backed up and so they have access to the shares on the server, I am using the domain and folder redirection on WSE 2012 and having a big headache because the VPN wont connect without use intervention to connect to the vpn, y does Microsoft only go 3/4 of a mile when they do things?? I hope now you understand what my trouble is.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help.

Thanks.  If you are talking the client side the only way I know of is to create a shortcut to desktop which might be easier but does not solve the problem.

They've built this into WS2012E. Check my threads on DirectAccess.

Can you point to the post you are talking about.  I could not find anything that addressed this issue.

Can you point to the post you are talking about.  I could not find anything that addressed this issue.

sorry pcdoc, this is the thread here.  includes my key learnings when setting up DirectAccess between WS2012e and a Win8 ENTERPRISE client.  Hopefully it will save many headaches as there were many before I got it working.

Just hit "connect"...unless you're dealing with MAC users and then yes, further instructions are needed.  : :lol:  

And that's how you do it .  Set it up and connect and leave it alone.  I really don't see the issue here.