RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hewisond

Intel RST RAID 5 degraded - cant rebuild

jmwills

You will always need two.

ikon

Three or four? More like one.

I keep no less than 4 copies of my data, and online backup is not a viable option, so 4 drives it would be.

hewisond

Well, that drive I repaired finally gave up the ghost and breathed it's last breath last night - RIP... :(

So, my dilemma, My RAID 5 array is made of up 4 x 2TB Green caviar disks, I forget why I chose them but, chose them i did.  And they arent being made any more dammit.  :wacko:

Given the server's been working perfectly for about a year now, I havent been keeping up to date with anything tech related, so I had no idea what was on offer these days..

Anyway, i came across the new WD Red drives which are designed for Home / SOHO NAS / RAID setups.. any system that is on 24/7 with multiple drives.. They say they're more stable, cooler, faster, more robust and Red... Only $AUD120 so not too bad price wise...

Anyway it's in now and rebuilding nicely.  If it stays nice and stable, I'll swap them all out to Reds over time.. 

We all knew that this drive's days were numbered, but that HDD regenerator software worked a treat and gave me the breathing space i needed.. highly recommended.  B)