RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hewisond

Intel RST RAID 5 degraded - cant rebuild

ikon

Self-employed? Is the server vital to your business? If so, please, please tell me you have tons of backup, including offsite.

If you're going to build a new server, why not seriously look at new 3 or 4 TB HDDs? You likely could use the same chassis.

hewisond

Yes its critical - however there's no critical data on the array, only movies and tv.

All other data is backed up to two local disks being 1 x SBS backup and 1 x Cloudberry backup to a different internal disk.  I also have a Cloudberry online backup to an S3 account.  So there's three separate backups in total.

I actually hadn't thought of the larger drives, I wasn't even aware that they'd released 4 TB drives yet! lol  I'll have a closer look now cheers :)

ikon

Glad to hear you've got backup.

I thought of the larger drives with the idea of an "upgrade in place".

pcdoc

You're dead right pcdoc - its only back in to maintain performance over the next week or so.  If it fails again, the array will only degrade so I'm not too worried about losing data in the short term.

I have already put an RMA request into WD, although that was 3 days ago and I still haven't heard back...  :wacko:

The drive that is 4mb too small, it's otherwise fine so I will use that as a stand alone in the server (thats what it used to be anyway), or maybe a new backup drive come to think of it.

Regardless of RMA's, I will buy a new drive to replace the dodgy one next week.

I'm self employed and have been pretty sick this year (im all good now) so money is very scarce at the moment.. however, assuming one of my clients pays on time, I'll be flush again next week.. I may even by a new server all together - right now I have a 4 x 2tb array, 1 x 2tb (the shrunk disk)  and 2 x 1.5 tb stand alone disks... and a system disk. Oh and the backup disk is on a USB3 external...

My array is almost full :(  So I'd love to make that a 6 x 2tb raid 5, or maybe raid 6 - not sure yet.. Unfortunately i cant fit any more disks in to the current server.   I'd buy a new box and swap it all into it, but then I have no idea how to transfer all that data over - I'd need to have double the disks i already have.. hence i may upgrade to a whole new system and use the old box as a desktop or something.

I was thinking of going for one of these: http://www.xcase.co.uk/cheap-3u-case-p/case-305-3u.htm

I have no idea how to configure the thing yet, I guess i better start thinking about it lol..  If you don't mind, when the time comes, i'd love to have a chat to you about if thats possible?

Anyway, thank you all for your help!   :D

If you do upgrade, consider using the 3T instead of the 2T.  You will have less drives and have room to add if you need one.

ikon

If you do upgrade, consider using the 3T instead of the 2T.  You will have less drives and have room to add if you need one.

Oh heck, in for a penny, in for a pound; go for 4TB :D

hewisond

When are the 5TB drives due out????  :ph34r:

ikon

LOL. Seriously though, I'm not sure if we even know what the next size of HDDs will be. It might be 6 or even 8 TB. I know there are some technologies in the very early stages (i.e. proof of concept stuff) that could lead to 100 TB drives :o 

hewisond

Bloody hell, imagine if you filled that up - and had a drive failure! lol  That would suck...

ikon

Yeah, but think how easy and small your backups would be. You'd only need maybe 3 or 4 drivers for everything, including backups.

ImTheTypeOfGuy
Yeah, but think how easy and small your backups would be. You'd only need maybe 3 or 4 drivers for everything, including backups.

Three or four? More like one.