RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hewisond

Intel RST RAID 5 degraded - cant rebuild

ikon

It is possible the spare drive has enough bad sectors mapped out that its capacity has dropped too low.

hewisond

Thats what I'm thinking... 

Only HDD sentinal hasnt reported any bad sectors dropping out..

As a last resort, I'm trying out HDD Regenerator as we speak - its reporting the drive as having 3,907,008,000 sectors - which is less than WD specifications on their web site - being: 3,907,029,168 (latest spec - my drive is a couple of years old which may explain the difference)

I'll let you know how it goes after its done its work.

ikon

I haven't heard of HDD Regenerator. I have used SpinRite on Level 5 to try to recover bad sectors. I did it mostly as a test; I don't recommend recovering sectors for production HDDs.

hewisond

I only found it today - I'm not sure how it will go. I've used spinrite before but I can't find the disks..  :wacko:

I only have movies on this array, all my critical data is on other drives and backed up... I've got to the point now where i can't let this one go.. I'm determined to try to fix this disk - call it OCD.. haha  That said, if HDD Regerneator doesn't work, i think i'll give up on it.

in any case, if i cant get it working it will only be in production for a couple of weeks, then i'll buy a new drive.

I'm also about to upgrade the server as I've run out of hard drive slots.. so in about a month I'll buy a brand new system and copy all the data across.. 

I've been using this hard drive for a year now and its never thrown any errors or lost any sectors, which is why this is doing my head in so much... maybe it was short on sectors when it was new? no idea really.

ikon

SpinRite can't see the disks? That's weird.

hewisond

no no - I cant find my spinrite CD... not do i want to turn the server off during the day - I use it for work..

If i find the spinrite disk, i'll try it over night..

hewisond

Update - I couldn't get my spare to work in the end, I ran a scan using HDD regenerator and that came up with a perfect disk, only it's still 4mb too small.

So I decided to run the failed drive which was originally in the array through the HDD Regen software and bingo, it repaired and the array is rebuilding perfectly. I'm impressed - the failed drive was makiung all sorts of grinding noises before and refused to work - but now its purring like a  kitten.. for how long? who knows.

I'll buy another disk next week and add it as a spare anyway, and keep the shrunk 2tb as a stand alone dive.

ikon

Glad you got it working. Your plan sounds very reasonable to me.

pcdoc

Glad you found the root cause however i would personally not use that drive knowing what you know.  I would consider getting a new one and sending that one in for RMA as the problem may come back. Drive issues typically do not get solved and degrade over time.  Just my two cents.

hewisond

You're dead right pcdoc - its only back in to maintain performance over the next week or so.  If it fails again, the array will only degrade so I'm not too worried about losing data in the short term.

I have already put an RMA request into WD, although that was 3 days ago and I still haven't heard back...  :wacko:

The drive that is 4mb too small, it's otherwise fine so I will use that as a stand alone in the server (thats what it used to be anyway), or maybe a new backup drive come to think of it.

Regardless of RMA's, I will buy a new drive to replace the dodgy one next week.

I'm self employed and have been pretty sick this year (im all good now) so money is very scarce at the moment.. however, assuming one of my clients pays on time, I'll be flush again next week.. I may even by a new server all together - right now I have a 4 x 2tb array, 1 x 2tb (the shrunk disk)  and 2 x 1.5 tb stand alone disks... and a system disk. Oh and the backup disk is on a USB3 external...

My array is almost full :(  So I'd love to make that a 6 x 2tb raid 5, or maybe raid 6 - not sure yet.. Unfortunately i cant fit any more disks in to the current server.   I'd buy a new box and swap it all into it, but then I have no idea how to transfer all that data over - I'd need to have double the disks i already have.. hence i may upgrade to a whole new system and use the old box as a desktop or something.

I was thinking of going for one of these: http://www.xcase.co.uk/cheap-3u-case-p/case-305-3u.htm

I have no idea how to configure the thing yet, I guess i better start thinking about it lol..  If you don't mind, when the time comes, i'd love to have a chat to you about if thats possible?

Anyway, thank you all for your help!   :D