RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hewisond

Intel RST RAID 5 degraded - cant rebuild

hewisond

Hey guys,

I have a conundrum that's totally got the better of me.

I have an SBS 2011e box set up with a RAID 5 setup on the motherboard.  It's worked perfectly for 2 years but the other day one of the drives cacked it.

The setup is 4 x WD Green Caviar 2TB drives.

I had a spare - same make, model and size.

I set the drive to a spare, but the system is not rebuilding to the new drive and the old drive is still marked as 'missing'...

The only discrepancy I've noticed is that the new drives capacity is reporting as 1,907,725 MB's  but the other 3 remaining drives in the array are reporting 1,907,729 MB's.

So the new 'spare' drive is obviously smaller, albeit by a mere 4 MB's.  Would this make it incompatible? and if so, how do I fix this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

PS - all my critical data is backed up, however the majority of the data on the array is movies and TV - 5 TB's of it, which is not backed up, so I'm keen to find a solution that doesn't involve destroying the data.

ikon

Believe it or not, I think the 4MB may be the culprit. You might want to try getting a 3TB drive and see if that works.

The other thing I'm wondering is if you can use DiskPart to Clean that new drive, just in case there's some small part of it that's been reserved for something. I would do that before trying the 3TB HDD.

As painful as it is, I think you should look at backing up that 5TB of movies & stuff. A couple of 3TB drives would do the trick nicely I think.

hewisond

Thanks guys, Unfortunately, RST is not giving me any of those options. It just says the array is degraded and that one of the array disks is missing... If I select the array,  the only option is gives me is to delete the volume. 

When i select the 2TB disk which is meant to replace the bad disk, the only option it gives me is to mark as spare..  That works, it does designate as spare, but that's were it stops.. nothing more happens.

I've had to rebuild the array before, this time its definitely different.

PS - the new RST will rebuild to a spare, it also has hot spare capability..

Believe it or not, I think the 4MB may be the culprit. You might want to try getting a 3TB drive and see if that works.

The other thing I'm wondering is if you can use DiskPart to Clean that new drive, just in case there's some small part of it that's been reserved for something. I would do that before trying the 3TB HDD.

As painful as it is, I think you should look at backing up that 5TB of movies & stuff. A couple of 3TB drives would do the trick nicely I think.

It does sound plausible doesn't it...

Excuse my ignorance - diskpart... is that a dos command or software?  Im getting many options when i google it...  :mellow:

ikon

DiskPart is a command line utility that you launch by opening a CMD window and typing DiskPart. You type List Disk to see a list of drives. You have to be very careful here to pick the correct drive - you could end up completely wiping out the wrong drive if you're not careful.

After identifying the correct drive you type Select Disk #, where # is the number of the correct drive, as shown by List Disk.

Then, you type Clean.

That's it. At that point the drive has zero partitions. You can use List Disk again to see how the drive looks after Cleaning.

BTW. to be safe, I would start the CMD window in Administrator mode.

schoondoggy

which version of RST are you running?

hewisond

The latest one - 11.7.0.1013

DiskPart is a command line utility that you launch by opening a CMD window and typing DiskPart. You type List Disk to see a list of drives. You have to be very careful here to pick the correct drive - you could end up completely wiping out the wrong drive if you're not careful.

After identifying the correct drive you type Select Disk #, where # is the number of the correct drive, as shown by List Disk.

Then, you type Clean.

That's it. At that point the drive has zero partitions. You can use List Disk again to see how the drive looks after Cleaning.

BTW. to be safe, I would start the CMD window in Administrator mode.

Well, I did that, but no luck - thanks anyway..

For some reason the sector count on this drive is lower than what it should be....

It looks like I'll need to buy a new drive and see if that works.... 

pcdoc

I still think the spare drive you have may have an issue.  Is there anyway you can a different drive?

hewisond

Not at the moment, its the only spare I have, so I'll go buy a new one...

I have a feeling you're right, i ran a pass with 'HDD low level format' overnight and now there are even less sectors registering on the drive..  yet HDD Sentinal reports the drive as perfect.. weird.

I decided to run a 'Zero Fill Free Space' pass using Perfect Disk - I doubt it will make any difference though.