RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012e Folder Redirection over slow link (DirectAccess)

Jason

Recently enabled Folder Redirection (FR) over Direct Access.  The client has a relatively low bandwidth broadband connection.  It seems that desktop icons are hit and miss.  Upon login, sometimes they appear and other times do not.  Seems very inconsistent.  Has anyone enabled FR over a slow link before?  If so, what settings can ensure all data resides on the local PC and is synched back to the server periodically.  So far, the only issue I've encountered with FR and it is significant enough to make me want to disable FR.  Not even sure how to do this while still having all data on the local PC.

Thanks!

Dumb question. Where do you disable FR? The VPN client is already remote. I want to disable it and ensure that all the data on the server resides locally on the PC. When disabled they should not lose any local data.

Dashboard -> Devices -> Sidebard, "Group Policy".

And yeah, ideally you want to set up Folder Redirection on a local machine before taking it remote. Once it's sync, then you're fine.

Thanks. I had located the option and disabled FR via group policy altogether.

I had setup the client PC on my LAN and enabled FR before taking the pC remote. Even though it had done an initial FR sync on LAN, it still appeared to be too slow via DirectAccess over Internet. Desktop icons would usually be missing, contacts, etc. since disabling FR all of those symptoms have gone away. Seems FR was designed to be used entirely via LAN.

Maybe they changed the terminology in 2012 but the what the OP is describing is offline folder caching, not folder redirection. The two are very different, or at least they were different.

"Seems FR was designed to be used entirely via LAN."

Yes.

Thanks.  This is good to know.  Seems there may be a Group Policy parameter that enables it to differentiate between a "slow" link and adjust when FR kicks in vs. not.  Nevertheless, it was a good test to save others the hassle.  DirectAccess is still my favorite feature of WS2012e so far :)