RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading from WHS V1

okhomer

Hello.  I am looking to upgrade my WHS v1 which still works well.  I wanted to know if it is worth going to WHS 2011 or go directy to Windows Server Essentials 2012.  I use my server for PC backups with 2 Windows 7 laptops, HTPC Win 7 and Win 8 tablet and media storage ie video, music and photos.  Thanks.

The Win8 tablet may be the deciding factor. Assuming it is using UEFI & GPT, you may want to go with WSE2012. WHS2011 does have a 'fix' for UEFI/GPT (in fact I'm using it) but it's not fully tested and approved yet - WSE2012 is.

On the other hand, WHS2011 is way cheaper than WSE2012, like $400 cheaper.

And if you want storage pooling, check out StableBit DrivePool, or Drive Bender.

I was looking at Drive Bender.  I got a 3 licenses for Drive bender because I am using it for a crashplan PC and got it when it was on sale last week.  3 licenses for less then one for Drive Bender.

I think I can get 2012 through work.  Does 2012 have built in backup like v1?  Also deso it play well with media center?  Thanks.

It has a better backup system than v1. In some regards at least. Specifically, you can restore the system state with the built in backup! :)

As for playing well with Media Center... no, I think the archiver stuff got pulled from 2012 Essentials. :(

Just to be clear (mostly for others who may happen across this thread) we are talking about Windows Server 2012 Essentials, not Windows Server 2012 Standard or other version, correct?

Hello.  I am looking to upgrade my WHS v1 which still works well.  I wanted to know if it is worth going to WHS 2011 or go directy to Windows Server Essentials 2012.  I use my server for PC backups with 2 Windows 7 laptops, HTPC Win 7 and Win 8 tablet and media storage ie video, music and photos.  Thanks.

My two cents is to go with 2011.  For what you are doing, you will not gain much going to 2012e unless of course you a TechNet.  WHS 2011 will do more than what you are asking.  As for GPT/UEFI, that is now supported with 2011 to a degree.  It does have some quirks but it does work..  Both will do fine for the streaming side of things.  If you are interested, I have a bunch of posts on various streaming options.  The bigger concern I would have is storage and decide whether or not you want something like Stabilbit (which I have running in a test environment), standard single drives, or RAID.