RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

Windows Deployment Services (WDS) on WS2012E

Jason

Has anyone else who has implemented WDS on their WS2012e boxes noticed their server backups (system state) no longer complete successfully?  Seems to be a common issue that can be remedied by stopping the WDS service prior to server backup and restarting it after.

One suggestion here that I've not yet tried:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/72cfdffd-c436-4cad-bca5-e9080d834449/

Drashna Jaelre

Like I said, works fine on mine without stopping it. Which is very weird.

Would you mind looking through both the WDS and Server Backup logs in the event viewer for errors and post those here?  

Also, are you using VSS Copy or "VSS Full" for the backup type in the scheduled backup? And can you verify that the VSS writers are working properly? (you havne't installed any imaging/backup software like Acronis, right?

Also.. I found this overly complicated set of commands that may help reassociated the VSS writer (what backup uses):

net stop "System Event Notification"
net stop "COM+ Event System"
net stop "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider "
net stop "Volume Shadow Copy"
cd /d %windir%\system32
net stop vss
net stop swprv
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
vssvc /register
regsvr32 /s /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /s /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 /s es.dll
regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
regsvr32 /s vssui.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll
Cd /d %systemroot%\syswow64
regsvr32 /s ole32.dll
regsvr32 /s vss_ps.dll
regsvr32 /s es.dll
regsvr32 /s stdprov.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml4.dll
net start "COM+ Event System"

Oh... and check to make sure that there are any services set to "automatic" startup type that aren't actively running. There are a few that should be, but there may be more that aren't.

Jason

Thank you Drashna.  As a starting point, I've since reset my server backup catalog, flushed the Backup > Operational event log and started a brand new server backup of only the system state without WDS enabled. I've even gone as far as to delete all shadow copies of my WS2012e boot drive ©.  Don't know about others, but I've disabled shadow copies on my RAID6 array (mostly large video files that don't change) and my other drives, particularly external drives used for backup data.

No, I don't have any other imaging apps installed on my WS2012e server.  I've not gone as far as to issue those commands - yet.  How can I tell whether my VSS is set to full or backup copy?  And what should it be set to?

Drashna Jaelre

Administrative Tools -> Windows Server Backup -> Local backup -> Backup Schedule -> Modify existing -> Advanced settings, I think.... I've had to do the delete catalogs thing a lot recently. Not sure why, but it is bugging me. (namely because when it happens, it prevents the dashboard for working, and "breaks" a bunch of the "server solution" services too, till I do that).

And since you aren't sure, it's set to VSS copy by default. If the automatic backups still don't work, try changing it to Full, and see if that helps.

As for the differences: http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2008/05/21/what-is-the-difference-between-vss-full-backup-and-vss-copy-backup-in-windows-server-2008.aspx

Jason

More learning.  Somehow after I setup WDS and ran the server backup, the backup returned the result: incomplete.  Upon reviewing the Event logs (Backup > Operational), it included the following:

The backup operation that started at '‎2013‎-‎04‎-‎16T04:10:10.214403600Z' has encountered errors, some of the files could not be backed up. Log of files successfully backed up 'false'. Log of files not successfully backed up 'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\Backup-16-04-2013_04-10-10.log'.

Upon review of this log, it included:

Error in backup of F:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
Error in backup of F:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

Peculiar since my WDS is on a completely different drive altogether.  Nevertheless, this is a documented issue by Microsoft for which a fix is posted here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11872.server-backup-known-issues-and-resolutions.aspx

Once again, I hope this helps others.  I'm now testing the multi-string registry entry to IgnoreNTFS.

ikon

I like the option of ignoring those 2 files. As the article says, there's no harm at all in doing so.

Jason

Good news, was able to solve this issue, but it wasn't with the fix above.  WDS must be on a dedicated drive (or partition in my case) in order to not interfere with the Windows Server backup (system state).  Server Backup will fail otherwise.

Those of you using, PXE to boot the WS2012E client restore over your network, how did you get around the RestoreCDInit.exe error that pops up as soon as the GUI starts to load?  PXE is working but WS2012E client restore returns that error.  Not the case with a USB thumb drive.

ikon

Nice work Jason re: the separate disk/partition.

Drashna Jaelre

I've been running WDS that way anyways. At least in 2012. 

As for the restore disk.... are you familar with the Windows AIK?  If you are, mount the boot.wim and then boot_x86.wim, copy the "GUID" folder that is in the root of the restore disk to the mounted WIM, and then commit/save the boot images.   Just be warned, you'll have to update that GUID folder every time there is an update to the recovery software. (which is why it's not in the boot image, in the first place. It is nice to know that MSFT did listen to me on that...)

ikon

is nice to know that MSFT did listen to me on that...)

Do I sense a certain degree of frustration? :)