RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E, EX490 and sleep

unmesh

I made the leap from the OEM WHS v1 all the way to installing WS2012E, using a PC for the initial installation instead of doing a headless unattended install inside the HP EX490.

However, the Settings->Power button in the UI only gives restart and shutdown (not standby) as a selection.

Did I miss something in the installation?

Why would you want a server to go into Standby mode?  My 2012 install shows three options:

Disconnect

Shutdown

Restart

I'd use Lights Out.

Shutdown and Restart are the only options on my WSE2012 Virtual box.

Why would you want a server to go into Standby mode?  My 2012 install shows three options:

Disconnect

Shutdown

Restart

It is meant to be a replacement for my WHSv1 which was only used for client PC backups and hence in Standby most of the time to save energy.

I used Lights Out with my WHSv1 and will try it with this OS.

Edited by unmesh

Umm... off topic guys???

You need to install proper VGA drivers to get sleep/hibernate. Known issue with windows since at least XP/Server 2003. Yay microsoft.

Head over to driverpacks.net for the VGA drivers.... I think that may be your best bet. That or check out the WGS forum's lights out section. There may be a link there.

.... no freaking clue. Seriously. I've always wondered this. Ever since i discovered that issue on XP. It's so stupid.  But to get sleep and hibernate, you have to have "proper" drivers installed.   If you don't believe me, check out the lights out threads on WGS. Nine times out of ten, when the server won't sleep, that's why.

But yeah, I have no idea what MSFT was smoking/drinking/whatever when they made sleep/hibernate requires... :P