RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RWG3

Error when restoring a client backup - Says drive "Z:" is unformatted

ikon

So nice to know I'm not alone.... I feel all warm and fuzzy :wacko: :D

gcoupe

My 18 year old Laserjet 5MP has no idea what a LAN is... :mellow: It does have an infrared connection though.

jmwills

My HP 1012 (circa1998) had no idea what a LAN was until I forced it onto the network.

ikon

My 18 year old Laserjet 5MP has no idea what a LAN is... :mellow: It does have an infrared connection though.

My HP 1012 (circa1998) had no idea what a LAN was until I forced it onto the network.

I have a recently retired HP Color LaserJet 3500 that is also LAN-challenged. I got into my LAN by using an HP 1075 (I think that's the #) Ethernet to USB adapter. It worked fine that way for years. I'm now using an Epson WorkForce which has wireless and wired Ethernet.

RWG3

Just set up a new HP N54L Microserver and installed WHS2011.  Installed connector on "Pavilion" , a Win 7 Utimate (32 bit) desktop and let the server "Kermit" run the back up last night.  The dashboard shows that the client backup completed successfully and I can navigate into the backup and choose the restore files and folders on two of the three backed up volumes.  However, on one volume, "S:" doesn't load... it will attempt to open the Volume... and the it will progress to 99% then I get a message that says "Restore Process did not succeed. System can not find path specified."  Then a second windows message pops up saying "You must format the disk in drive Z: before you can use it.  it presents two option buttons "format" and "Cancel". I reviewed all the drives on "Pavilion and for good measure on "Kermit"... there is no drive "Z" on either machine.   Out of frustration.. finally clicked format and it show a volume with a capacity equal to "s:"  Clearly... I didn't want to reformat that volume so I canceled.... 

Help!  Any idea what's going on here?

OK... back to MY problem....

I removed the server from the homegroup... no improvement

Ran chkdsk.... (no errors) ... no improvement

I removed uninstall the "Windows Server Solution Computer Restore" device from the client,  including the drivers, and the connector... rebooted... reinstalled the connector ... no improvement

Move all of the data off of the offending volume.... this is where I got a hint there were a handfull of files buried deep in one of the directories that have very long filenames and paths and that generated errors when copying files.....  I fixed those problems. 

I suspect this was the issue.

For good measure i reformatted that partition....

:D I'm now able to back up and restore the partition!

New Question.... how do I delete the previous unuseable backups.... I've marked them for deletion on the next clean up....  can I force the clean up?

ikon

I have run into this issue a number of times over the years, mostly with Windows Servers and Macs. Apple Macs have different file naming rules and they can cause funky issues when using shares on Windows Servers to store files. It is important to note how long path names are, unfortunately.

Drashna Jaelre

yeah, you sure can force the backup database cleanup.  

Task Schedular->Local->Microsoft->Windows Server. Find the "Cleanup" task and run it.

RWG3

Thanks Drashna! Thanks to everyone for your help.

ikon

Please keep us updated on your progress.

RWG3

Ok... One more question... I posted this question elsewhere... but I'm getting no bites. 

With the Drivepool... I see no way to include selected folders in the standard WHS2011 Server backup.  My only option is to choose the 
"pool parts" subdirectories on thier respective drives... Right?  so my 800 GB of data and client back ups when I use the folder duplication are at least 1.6 TB in the server back up.

Is there an alternative way to set up my server backup?