RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RWG3

Error when restoring a client backup - Says drive "Z:" is unformatted

jmwills

Ahhhhhh, more "playing around" ??

Drashna Jaelre

Yes and no. StableBit DrivePool 2.0.0.225 is giving me weird driver issues. And only that version. build 222 works just fine. But I want to actually figure out the problem specifically, and troubleshoot it. It is in my best interest. ;)

I occasionally have been getting a "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION"/bugcheck.  Very weird, as some of the related troubleshooting I've done on my own indicates that there should be no issue... 

Oh, and to the topic's point: if the "unformatted" Drive Z: issue doesn't go away. Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the "Windows Server Solution Computer Restore" device, deleting the drivers if it gives you the option. And then reinstall the connector.

RWG3

"Oh, and to the topic's point: if the "unformatted" Drive Z: issue doesn't go away. Go to the Device Manager, uninstall the "Windows Server Solution Computer Restore" device, deleting the drivers if it gives you the option. And then reinstall the connector."

Thanks Drashna ( I appreciate you coming back to my problem :D

You're suggesting I delete this on the Client (Pavilion)?  ( NOT the server)  - worth a shot... I just don't know why it would work on the other volumes but not this one.   Oh well.... 

Its going to be a couple of days before I can get back to this... but here's my work plan....

1) Review the S;\  Volume permissions again and verify there's nothing in the way there.

2) Remove the Server from the Home group

3) Remove the Client (Pavilion ) form the Home group

4. Deleve WSS Computer restore and Drivers  and reinstall the connector.  

Drashna Jaelre

Unlike *some* people, I do try to stay on topic. (sorry, couldn't resist... :P)

yes, on the client. When you install the connector (for any product that is WHS2011 or "up"), it installs the driver at that point too. It is possible that the driver may have been corrupted, or possible, not updated properly when there was a connector update.

Also, it is definitely a good idea to *never* use homegroups with any of the WHS products. It screws stuff up. Every time. I actually disable the services on my computers. I've considered deleting them, but... I'd rather not do that.

Otherwise, the plan looks good.

jmwills

I would get the WHS 2011 server up and running and verified that all is well.  YOu can then create a new Shared Folder there tow hihc you can copy the data form the client (you are now using as a backup location) and then, and only after you have verified the usability of that new folder, I'd delete the trouble volume and then join to the server.

gcoupe

True, however, if you use the server to it's full potential, the roles of a file server and print server can be transferred and that one client does not have to stay on all the time.

Actually, I found that it was more energy efficient to have my printers attached to my main desktop PC. The WHS is primarily a file server, and LightsOut saves me money.

ikon

Does no one connect their printers directly to their LAN?

jmwills

I do!!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

:handup

schoondoggy

I do