RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RWG3

Error when restoring a client backup - Says drive "Z:" is unformatted

ikon

Yup. try to avoid HomeGroups at all when using WHS2011 as your file/backup server.

The other thing I always do when running into issues with a disk is run CHKDSK.

RWG3

Thanks ikon...   I did run CHKDSK on the Pavilion "S:" ... no errors... so that's not it.   

I've got 4 home computers using HOMEGROUP to share printers and other file shares...   I'm sure I can unwind it... but I've got a little work todo.... 

I appreciate the response.

ikon

No problem. CHKDSK is just one of those things I do. It at least eliminates file system errors at the cause of a problem.

gcoupe

You should be OK just dropping the WHS out of the Homegroup.

All my client PCs are in a Homegroup (I need it for ease of printer and document sharing), and I've never had any issues, because the WHS itself is not in the Homegroup.

jmwills

True, however, if you use the server to it's full potential, the roles of a file server and print server can be transferred and that one client does not have to stay on all the time.

Drashna Jaelre

Yup. try to avoid HomeGroups at all when using WHS2011 as your file/backup server.

The other thing I always do when running into issues with a disk is run CHKDSK.

*gasp* you don't install StableBit Scanner?! :P

ikon

Actually, no, I don't. It wouldn't help with file system issues anyway. I do use SpinRite religiously, even on brand new drives.

Drashna Jaelre

Why not run both? :)

SpinRite to fix FS and low level issues, Scanner to check and fix files, and to warn you about failure.  I mean, how can you go wrong with that?

ikon

I did try out SBS on my WHSv1 and it worked 'OK'. I had some issues with it hanging up, but I definitely liked the functionality.

On my WHS2011 box, I'm using a 3ware/LSI RAID card for my drive pool (4x2TB WD RE4 HDDs). I believe I did try loading SBS but, IIRC, it could not see the individual drives, which pretty much negates its usefullness.

BTW, just for clarity, SpinRite will not fix FS issues; it works at the cluster level and is actually OS & FS agnostic.

Drashna Jaelre

That's what I meant. I'm not used to being awake before noon lately, and have been up since 7am this morning... after trying to beat my server into submission all weekend.