RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RWG3

Error when restoring a client backup - Says drive "Z:" is unformatted

RWG3

Just set up a new HP N54L Microserver and installed WHS2011.  Installed connector on "Pavilion" , a Win 7 Utimate (32 bit) desktop and let the server "Kermit" run the back up last night.  The dashboard shows that the client backup completed successfully and I can navigate into the backup and choose the restore files and folders on two of the three backed up volumes.  However, on one volume, "S:" doesn't load... it will attempt to open the Volume... and the it will progress to 99% then I get a message that says "Restore Process did not succeed. System can not find path specified."  Then a second windows message pops up saying "You must format the disk in drive Z: before you can use it.  it presents two option buttons "format" and "Cancel". I reviewed all the drives on "Pavilion and for good measure on "Kermit"... there is no drive "Z" on either machine.   Out of frustration.. finally clicked format and it show a volume with a capacity equal to "s:"  Clearly... I didn't want to reformat that volume so I canceled.... 

Help!  Any idea what's going on here?

jmwills

Can you list all the volumes you selected for backup?

RWG3

Yes... from the Pavilion windows explorer.... I can still see al three volumes... including "S" and I can navigate and read it.   It is a partition on a WD1002FAEX

jmwills

Is that the built-in restore partition?  If so, I would not backup that.

RWG3

No... its a shared volume for documents.... Notthing sexy in there... just word docs, spreadsheets, etc.

jmwills

Unless there is something funky with the permissions, that shouldn't be an issue.

RWG3

Thanks jm... any thoughts about how i diagnose this?  I will check drive permissions.... but I think they are wide open as I've shared this volume with everyone on the network and  both the Pavilion and Kermit are in the same Win7 homegroup.

If there no restrictions on the permissions... I'm inclined to create a new directory on the Pavillion and move everything over to new directory then I'll delete that volume.  I'd really like to understand this before I let go of my old back up scheme and add more clients.

I appreciate your responses...  

jmwills

Ahhhhhhhh, the HomeGroup bug strikes again!!!  There are known issues (discussed here numerous times) about using HomeGroups and the issues caused with WHS.  You don't need them.  

Put the contents of that folder on the server....that's what it's there for.

RWG3

Ok... that's what I'm in the process of doing....  Just trying to stay backed up and make sure I don't loose anything in the process.   The Pavillion has been my central file storage... but it's getting beyond what I can manage with a 1TB External HD for backups.   Acronis makes great back images... but it keeps going off track for scheduled back ups... but I digress!

I'll search for the homegroups issue... but should I drop the server out of the homegroup?   I was having a terrible time getting the client to load the connector and thought it might help. 

jmwills

The HomeGroup issue was more than likely your issue with the connector.  None of the servers or clients should be in a HomeGroup.