RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Haswell, intel boards for my Next-Gen WHS

TheGuy

Hey folks,

I will be going to a new mini ITX board for my next-Gen WHS, and wondered if I should wait for the new Haswell boards. (When are they coming out?)  Reading up, I see the new CPU will have a USB3 issues...maybe that is a bad thing for my next-gen WHS...if I was thinking of using the USB-3 ports for Disk drive for my ### Bay External Enclosure,  hmmm.  what should I do?

Any comments, recommendations... should I simply get a "deal" on a current Z77 ITX and smile...or wait a few months and get a new Haswell  or wait longer (6 months) and get the Version-2 of Haswell?

I would like to move from my current WHS-V1 on ATOM CPU to a WHS-2011 on and i3 or maybe i5 Haswell... or maybe I should go Windows server.  So what would you recommend today for next-generation build / ITX board?

Comments welcomed,

Where is your sense of adventure. Do none of you desire to have the latest and greatest? Or is it just me?

Hey folks,

I will be going to a new mini ITX board for my next-Gen WHS, and wondered if I should wait for the new Haswell boards. (When are they coming out?)  Reading up, I see the new CPU will have a USB3 issues...maybe that is a bad thing for my next-gen WHS...if I was thinking of using the USB-3 ports for Disk drive for my ### Bay External Enclosure,  hmmm.  what should I do?

Any comments, recommendations... should I simply get a "deal" on a current Z77 ITX and smile...or wait a few months and get a new Haswell  or wait longer (6 months) and get the Version-2 of Haswell?

I would like to move from my current WHS-V1 on ATOM CPU to a WHS-2011 on and i3 or maybe i5 Haswell... or maybe I should go Windows server.  So what would you recommend today for next-generation build / ITX board?

Comments welcomed,

The new 1150's should be coming out in a couple of months -- so if you can I'd wait a few months (July or Aug) and look at what's available and what the reviews are -- from what i've read the USB 3.0 issues are addressed and corrected by Intel.

I'm also looking at the Haswell's -- I'm also waiting till July-Sept to see how it looks and what the Reviews say but the Z87's do look nice :)

Edited by Joe_Miner

For a server the only realized benefit would be a bit of power savings.  That said, I agree with everyone else and I would look for a good board and processor now.  It is not worth a couple of watts at the wall for a first gen release though I a sure most of the issues would be addressed.  I am will getting a Haswell when they come for some testing but I will test on my desktop not my server.

Guest no-control

Ask yourself what does Haswell give you that Ivy Bridge does not. If nothing is a must have, then you've answered your question.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to refer to this as "the rule of delayed acquisition". If your willing to wait 12-18 months after release you can get some fantastic hardware and not break the budget. It is not worth buying the latest and greatest as dollar for dollar you'll come out worse off and you effectively become a volunteer beta tester for intel.

Edited by JayBee