RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Business Servers

ImTheTypeOfGuy

ADMIN EDIT: This discussion started in the thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5297-g8-microserver-rumors/page-0 and was split off into it's own topic when it diverted from the original topic about HP G8 Microserver rumors.

I didn't know they had that product. Okay, now that is a server. But given it is HP, I would never buy it. I guess I will just have to keep building them myself.

Edited by cskenney
topic split

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• schoondoggy

I didn't know they had that product. Okay, now that is a server. But given it is HP, I would never buy it. I guess I will just have to keep building them myself.

ITTOT you did not know that HP made servers other than the MicroServer?

ITTOT you did not know that HP made servers other than the MicroServer?

I knew they made other servers but was thinking they would all be business class and not other consumer grade options. All my HP experience, personally and professionally, has been a disaster so I do not pay any attention to them. Thus, I am not very familiar with their products except for the ones mentioned on this forum.

I knew they made other servers but was thinking they would all be business class and not other consumer grade options. All my HP experience, personally and professionally, has been a disaster so I do not pay any attention to them. Thus, I am not very familiar with their products except for the ones mentioned on this forum.

Interesting......   You don't think the ML series is "business class".

At my work we have both Dell and HP servers. The HP have proven to be somewhat better than the Dell; not fantastically, but enough that we pretty much buy HP now.

Interesting......   You don't think the ML series is "business class".

Well, I would say nothing HP makes is "business class". But I recognized that is opinion based on personal experience. Also, I did not look at the entire ML line but the ones I saw were single processor units, which have no place in my business.

So you buy only multi-CPU servers? That's interesting. We would like to do that at my work, but we can't due to licencing issues with things like Oracle Server. The difference in annual cost between a single CPU licence and a dual CPU licence is staggering.

So you buy only multi-CPU servers? That's interesting. We would like to do that at my work, but we can't due to licencing issues with things like Oracle Server. The difference in annual cost between a single CPU licence and a dual CPU licence is staggering.

Yes, actually all our servers have four CPU sockets. We just use two at the moment. The licensing is a constant issue since almost everthing is going to per CPU models. If it wasn't for this we would max all of them out. However, we will probably do this before the end of the year due to an acquisition. It is a constant battle and staying current with licensing changes is a nightmare.

Tell me about it :P

That said, Oracle told us that we would have to pay for a 2 CPU licence on a server with 2 CPU sockets, even if we only populate it with 1 processor. At one point they were even going to charge extra for multi-core CPUs. I think they finally gave in on that. I'm not exactly sure because, thank goodness, I don't have to deal with those issues any more. :)

I know that one of our hosting sites charged for sockets on virtual machines until we figured out it was less expensive to go back to physical machines.  Trying to save some taxpayer $$$  (you can thank me later :))

G8.....this does seem like a logical evolution in the line but a little too soon, but on the other hand, the only thing HP had to change was on the MBO,  The case stayed the same.

I love my Dell servers.  Nothing like an R900.   (IMO)