RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cluelessav

3 or 4 TB drive in WHS

cluelessav

Thank you everyone for all of the info. I am going to give 2011 a shot since I really want to upgrade the storage size.

BobHicks

I have installed 2, 3 TB Seagate drives into my WHS v1. After a lot of reading I decided not to upgradde from WHS v1 because of the loss of the drive extender so I looked for a way to make it take over 2 TB drives. As WHS v1 was built from the full comercial server which does accept the larger drives I figured there must be a way and after a lot of searching found it could be done with registry hacks and a fairly complex set of instructions. I was all set to go and in one thread found a reference to a comercial product that does the work for you. The problem is that WHS automatically formats a new drive with MBR which limits the size and there is no option to select a GUID partition which the OS is fine with it. The software cost $19.95 and did the job easy as pie. The only thing is that the system drive must be MBR as the drivers load from it. I used a 1.5 TB drive fot the OS partition and rest as DATA partition. You need a good size data partiton on the sys drive as it is where all the incoming files are stored before they are allocated the the other drives. Now I have 2 - 3TB and 2 - 2TB drives and the 1.5TB sys drive. Good for another 10 years. If you are interested and can't find the software just drop me a note and I will send you the info.

ikon

We don't object to people posting links to good software, as long as they're not trying to SPAM us or push their own product(s).

I still think you might want to consider upgrading to WHS2011. Yes, you lose DE, but you can use one of the drive pooling tools that are now available and, IMHO, are actually better than DE: DrivePool, DriverBender, PoolHD, flexRAID.

joem

This works for WHS 2011 and Essentials 2012 as well

1. Backup all your data (if necessary)
  2. Connect desired system drive to desktop PC. I removed all my other drives for the time being.
  3. Boot from the WHS 2011 DVD and run the installation
  4. When the installation reboots the computer the first time turn off your PC. This is VERY important, otherwise you'll end up with your PC's hardware information on the system drive and when you put it into the home server it will likely fail.
  5. After shutting down computer, put the new drive into the system drive slot on the home server. For the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 it is the bottom slot. Leave your other drive(s) out for now.
  6. Turn on the home server and let it run for a while. Mine took about 10 minutes for the installation to complete.
  7. On your desktop (it should be turned on now) open your Network folder and when the home server installation is complete you'll see it pop up as SERVER (you may need to refresh the window). SERVER is the default name given by the installation.
  8. Open http://ipaddressofserver/setup/launch.aspx from a browser (you may need to view the devices connected to your router to obtain the IP address of the server, or you could use the name "SERVER" in lieu of the IP).
  9. Confirm date and time
  10. Agree to EULA
  11. Enter product key from WHS package/COA (Make sure you enter the correct key all at once. I had a typo, which I then corrected, but the installation would not take the fix. I had to retype the entire product key once more and it worked fine.)
  12. Let the wizard prepare your Home Server. It will take some time and the server will reboot multiple times.
  13. Once done you will be prompted to connect to the Home Server. Say "Connect" or open your browser and go to: http://ipaddressofserver:65510/Connect/
  14. Once the launchpad and dashboard software are installed on your client computer you can administer the server there, however for more advance features you'll need to RDP to the home server.

This process would also work for replacement of a failed system drive with the same OS.

ikon

I have used this process successfully to install WHS2011 on my Acer H340 (as indicated in the 8th & 9th posts above).