RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cluelessav

3 or 4 TB drive in WHS

cluelessav

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me. I currently own a 1TB Aspire easyStore H340 Home Server. I recently had a 2 TB Seagate HD fail on me and I wanted to replace it with a WD Black 4 TB drive or a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB drive. I reached out to Acer 1st to see if the Home Server could even handle a 3 TB or 4 TB drive and this was their response...

"According to the specification of the server, the server will support hard drives with maximum capacity of 4 TB. In that case, the server should support a 3 TB or 4 TB hard drive."

My question now is do I have to do anything special for WHS to see this size drive? I have been reading some things about 2 TB's being all that can be seen. I guess I am just a little confused about what WHS can do for me. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.  

The below link has the specs of the Aspire easyStore H340 Home Server.

Thanks again!

ikon

If you're using WHSv1 (i.e. not WHS2011 or WSE2012) then I believe the limit is 2TB. This is an OS limitation, not hardware. WHS2011 and WSE2012 can both use 3 or 4 TB drives.

BTW, it is possible to install WHS2011 on your H340 - I've done it, and it's not even very difficult.

cluelessav

I am not sure what I am using to be honest. I was trying to find that out. When I go to the about on the server it just states Windows Home Server with Power Pack 2. Not sure if that means anything to you.

I would have no problem upgrading if that is what I have to do. Now you have an H340?

ikon

I do have an H340. I'm not using it any more, because it has no video. I found the inability to get at the BIOS and to see what's going on when it fails to start totally frustrating. However, as I said, I have installed WSH2011 on it, a few times actually.

cluelessav

What did you have to do in order to install it being that you can't hook a monitor up to it in it's current state?

Did you put WHS2011 on a USB drive?

Edited by cluelessav

ikon

The 'trick' to doing this is to start the install on a PC that does have a monitor, KB, and mouse. You let the install proceed to the point of the first reboot. Before it can reboot, you shut the PC down, remove the drive, install it in the H340, and boot it up. There is a thread on these forums that has all the details.

ikon

Thanks cskenny. Embarrassing that I didn't have a link handy to my own post :huh: 

jmwills

We've got your six....carry on!

ikon

:)