RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The biggest gripe...

BigSpenderNOT

I know this topic is debated all the time, but I've been patient with all the DRM and fighting back and forth between mega-rich companies about what people can "do" with "their" media... but isn't it about time that there was an easy way to stream DVD functionality from VOB files within Video_TS containers to the two most user friendly media extenders: PS3 and XBox 360? Or am I missing something and it can be done? I know Tversity and Twonky will at least let you stream the files, but how craptastic is trying to play split up VOB files through an extender? Talk about non-existent/negative WAF! I have hopes for the new Dell Zino product, but can't I use something I already own!

I guess what I'm getting at is: What do you guys do/recommend?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• CablDeViL

• analog

Well, for me, I have just gone the HTPC route. I don't have an XBOX 360 and my extender is collecting dust. As far as streaming movies goes, I do think that netflix is a great option too! I'm about to try that and see what that experience is like through media center. It would work with your XBOX too.

Thanks for the reply Indy,
NetFlix does seem like a pretty good option for most people, but my "on server" movie collection is nearing the 750 range and I'd really like to be able to view those every where in the home without spending a ton more, since I already have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 that make for pretty darn good extenders, EXCEPT FOR streaming VOBs properly.

::shrugs and calms self down from going on another rant about DRM::

I agree, I use Ripbot to do my transcoding but I use popcorn hour to connect to the WHS collection since 360 cannot do 1080p .. I think it can only do 720p but I could be wrong.

CablDeViL, what format are you ripping to? And are you playing them back via the video library on the 360 UI, or in extender mode?

BigSpenderNOT ...+1 on your comments. DRM just hurts the legitimate user community ..I think there will alway be an element of 'piracy' by some who do it ..'just because you can' ....about time the big media sourcing companies see the writing on the wall. If they reduced their pricing models so that most folk 'just wouldn't be bothered' with obtaining copies ...then their sales volume would increase ......enuf said.

I am in the process of copying my DVD collection to the WHS .....so I have 'on-demand' anytime access to movies and DVD music vids. On my HTPC/MediaPC I run Media Centre but keep comomg back to XBMC as my Media interface, the wife finds this the easiest to operate.
I would like to just use one interface ...say MS Medica Centre ..with a Media Centre Remote (no keyboard required) ...but just find MC clunky at times ....it won't play .iso rips of DVDs ..but it will play a ripped folder copy of the DVD.

XBMC will play the ripped .iso but not so easily the ripped folder ..you have to enter the folder and select the .bup file first. And I haven't got the MC remote configured for XBMC....yet ....there is a solution but I haven't got it to work yet ....haven't tried hard tho' ;-) ...so use a wireless Keyboard with built in trackball ...just tooo big on the coffe table and on the wife factor!

So what do I rip my movies on to th WHS?????? ...folders or .iso ???? Solution needs to be wife friendly ...ie no messing around with knowing files types and codec and stuff! ...XBMC is the better solution ...most of the time atm ....for me atleast.
..end of winge ;-)

manphil..

why not rip to iso and use the mediabrowser plugin in conjunction with daemon tools. in mediabrowser set the location daemon tools in the configuration program inside your start folder. the movies will be displayed in mediabrowser with all metadata. click select and the iso is mounted in the background and then played in media center. this is what i do for all my dvd's and blu-ray disks. on click solution.

I don't mess with VOBs and ISOs anymore; like the OP, it was just too frustrating. I've had much better luck with compressed formats like xvid and divx AVIs. They play on everything without a lot of fuss or transcoding. My server is a P4 and can't really handle it anyway. I know some people don't like the quality but I honestly can't tell the difference. Maybe in the future we will have more widespread adoption of a high def container like MKV but for now, these files are small and watchable.

All my movie rips are folders of VOB's, which Media Center sees and plays back like a regular DVD. The VOB files are strung together during playback like a single file, sans hitches. I just rip the DVD's with the subtitles and languages I want and that's it. The Media Center solution is working fine for me.

I used to 'Shrink' the folders of VOB's to ISO's and play them back with VLC, and that worked just fine. But since Windows 7 came with Media Center, I've completely switched over to the 'folder of VOB's' method.

I'm thinking that my 'extender' will be something like the Lenovo Q110 nettop mentioned a few podcasts ago. I already have the DiNovo. :)