RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
blacklassie

New N54L

Bmouthboyo

Hi guys can I ask, if you only intend on using the N54L with WS2012 Essentials for file sharing, Plex Media Serving, Blue Iris IP cam service, torrent, couch potato etc that I need to upgrade from the stock 2GB RAM? I don't plan on virtual servers etc.

ikon

If it were mine, I would bump it up to 4GB, but that's just me ;)

cskenney

Hi guys can I ask, if you only intend on using the N54L with WS2012 Essentials for file sharing, Plex Media Serving, Blue Iris IP cam service, torrent, couch potato etc that I need to upgrade from the stock 2GB RAM? I don't plan on virtual servers etc.

If it were mine, I would bump it up to 4GB, but that's just me ;)

Joe_Miner has demonstrated that the additional RAM helps with file transfer speeds too.  It really makes sense to bump it up to 8GB if you can afford to do it (and the OS you are using can take advantage of it).

LoneWolf

Upgrading your RAM will reduce disk swapping and increase performance.  I'd go 4GB for sure, 8GB if you can find a deal.  And if you're running multiple I/O-bound processes at a time (which Blue Iris, Plex, and torrenting simultaneously would definitely count for) I'd definitely be running 8GB, as the OS caching performance will be improved.

Essexraptor

My gut feeling is a dual core Turion CPU @ 2.2Ghz would struggle or run like a dog even with 8GB of RAM. You should have a serious rethink of the number of services your planning to run at the same time. Even one of my desktops here... running a 6 core Phenom II + 16GB DDR3 would have a nervous breakdown just thinking about it.

The data provided by Joe shows what this babe can do with file transfers..but its sterile, single service lab stuff and should be seen as such.... No offense meant... I love trying to match or achieve similiar results :)

Bottom line... 8 is better... cut back the tasks

Edited by Essexraptor