RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
blacklassie

New N54L

blacklassie

Hi,

I just bought a new Microserver N54L from Newegg.

Just thought people would like to know, that the stock BIOS that came with it (BIOS ID - 041) supports 16GB of memory. No need to flash to the modded bios for that. I had bought this type of memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207

I have 5 drives in it -

Stock 250GB drive as the system drive in the optical bay hooked into the extra internal sata port.

(2) 1 TB Green Drives as a mirror set

(2) 2 TB Green Drives as a mirror set

Installed windows server 2008 R2 Standard edition and it has all the drivers stock. They were all newer than what is on the HP Website after windows update. I had a 5450 ATI card that I was not using so I plugged it in just for fun. I'm using Universal Media Server (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/) to stream movies from this thing. Works great! Every bit as good as the Quadcore I was using before. The media server software uses the video card too using Avisynth/MEncoder.

Anybody know of a good easy to setup and configure backup solution for other PC's in the home? I have all this disk space for this thing, might as well setup backups for laptops and PC's in the home.

Anyway, out of the box the thing saw 16GB of mem. I really didnt need any of the stuff I found here or at other sites. I did install Raidexpert but that's it.

cskenney

Welcome Blacklassie to our forums.

I am not sure where you got the impression that you needed to use the modified BIOS to be able to use 16GB RAM.  Maybe there is a thread someplace else where it is implied but as you found out the BIOS has nothing to do with it.

In the past people have had mixed results with trying 16GB RAM in their Microserver.  Our resident expert Joe_Miner tried it in his N40L and 1 out of 6 (or so) reboots the server would only show 8GB RAM during post.  He now has the same RAM in his N54L and it seems to show 16GB RAM on every boot.

Regarding backup you could always install WHS2011 as a VM and use it to backup your other computers.  Are all the other computers running Windows?

ikon

Welcome.

^^ What he said. The stock BIOS in theory can support 16GB, but HP only officially supports 8GB and people have had issues when trying to use 16GB. As Joe_Miner says, "YMMV" :)

blacklassie

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah all are Windows 7 computers.

I suppose I could just reinstall with WHS2011, but for some reason I never cared for the WHS editions. Maybe I should reconsider for backup. Would rather have something else though.

I was all prepared to install all this stuff to get things to work on the micro server and I was plesantly suprised I didnt have to do anything. Even the Raid worked out of the box with no hassles.

Question - for sata drives using onboard raid, write-through or write-back? Right now I have it set for write-through.

ikon

write-back will give better performance; write-through is safer. I feel write-back is also safer with enterprise class drives, and I wouldn't use write-back without having the server on a good UPS.

cskenney

What does write-back mean (and write-through)?  I could Google it but maybe you could give me the 1 sentence definition.

ikon

As I've always understood it, write-back is basically caching, while write-through means the data goes straight to the platters, bypassing any cache. Because there's no cache, there is less likelihood that data will be lost in the event of a power failure but, on the other hand, caching can really speed things up.

Joe_Miner

Hi,

I just bought a new Microserver N54L from Newegg.

Just thought people would like to know, that the stock BIOS that came with it (BIOS ID - 041) supports 16GB of memory. No need to flash to the modded bios for that. I had bought this type of memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231207

I have 5 drives in it -

Stock 250GB drive as the system drive in the optical bay hooked into the extra internal sata port.

(2) 1 TB Green Drives as a mirror set

(2) 2 TB Green Drives as a mirror set

Installed windows server 2008 R2 Standard edition and it has all the drivers stock. They were all newer than what is on the HP Website after windows update. I had a 5450 ATI card that I was not using so I plugged it in just for fun. I'm using Universal Media Server (http://www.universalmediaserver.com/) to stream movies from this thing. Works great! Every bit as good as the Quadcore I was using before. The media server software uses the video card too using Avisynth/MEncoder.

Anybody know of a good easy to setup and configure backup solution for other PC's in the home? I have all this disk space for this thing, might as well setup backups for laptops and PC's in the home.

Anyway, out of the box the thing saw 16GB of mem. I really didnt need any of the stuff I found here or at other sites. I did install Raidexpert but that's it.

Hi BlackLassie and welcome to the Forums.  Congratulations on your new N54L -- they are pretty cool!  

I noticed when I click your link it took me to G.Skill(2x2GB) F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT  which is only 4GB (2x2GB) could you had intended to link to the 16GBG.Skill F3-1333C9D-16GAO ?  That’s the same 16G pack that was slightly problematic in my N40L as Chris said earlier but has been pretty solid in the N54L.  The Kingston 16GB ECC Server Memory KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G also works very well in the N54L with or without the BIOS-MOD.  Chris has been using 2 sticks (16GB) of the Corsair CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 very successfully.  It seems the 16GB in the MicroServer can be the luck of the draw with it being very individual machine specific on if it will work flawlessly or not.

Sound like you have a pretty nice setup with the 5450.  When you get a chance introduce yourself and check out our Media Forum as well as various Server and Storage Forums

Edited by Joe_Miner

LoneWolf

Write back vs write through cache:

http://it-manage.com/wordpress/?p=99

Write through is still really caching, however, it is not as fast as write back.  It is, however safer in the event of power loss (unless you have battery backup on your server and/or on your RAID controller, which mitigates this).

For history buffs, these methods of caching apply to more than just disks; late models of the Intel 80486 (specifically the 486DX4 and final generation models of the DX2/66) were their first CPUs to use write-back caching instead of write-through, and AMD did the same with their Enhanced Am486 processors late in the game.

ikon

thanks LoneWolf; good to know where my understanding was off.