RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Linux user getting errors with Modified BIOS

defcons

Alright i just registered here because I got some troubles with this hacked bios. Did not read through all the thread, sorry!

But as it looks the producer lurks around here :)

Errors I got:

23:01:49: Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.164653] ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT

Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.165514] ACPI Warning for \_SB_._OSC: Return type mismatch - found Integer, expected Buffer (20090903/nspredef-1006)

23:02:23: Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.201163] ACPI: bus type pnp registered

Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.203811] pnp 00:0a: [Firmware Bug]: [0x000000-0xffffffffffffffff] covers only part of AMD MMCONFIG area [0xe0000000-0xefffffff]; adding more reservations

So whatever you modified there it bugged the ACPI and/or EDAC firmware original values.

I switched off ACPI now and gonna see what happens.

Any ideas on this?

Regards

Alright i just registered here because I got some troubles with this hacked bios. Did not read through all the thread, sorry!

But as it looks the producer lurks around here :)

Errors I got:

23:01:49: Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.164653] ACPI: EC: Look up EC in DSDT

Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.165514] ACPI Warning for \_SB_._OSC: Return type mismatch - found Integer, expected Buffer (20090903/nspredef-1006)

23:02:23: Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.201163] ACPI: bus type pnp registered

Apr 9 22:48:50 abc kernel: [ 0.203811] pnp 00:0a: [Firmware Bug]: [0x000000-0xffffffffffffffff] covers only part of AMD MMCONFIG area [0xe0000000-0xefffffff]; adding more reservations

So whatever you modified there it bugged the ACPI and/or EDAC firmware original values.

I switched off ACPI now and gonna see what happens.

Any ideas on this?

Regards

What is reporting these errors?  Or, where are you seeing these errors?  During startup?

I am a linux user and thats the error logs. The error simply occured after like 4 days uptime. It put the server to maximum load, close to collaps.

Edited by defcons

Hi Defcons!

My suggestion would be to flash your system back to the HP Stock BIOS by using your BIOS Recovery Key you created in Step 4 of the Step-by-Step Guide in HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer Build and BIOS Modification Revisited

– if you no longer have your Recovery Key then go to HP page that has the System ROMPaq version  2011.07.29 i.e. file SP54344.exe and create another key and use that as your recovery key to flash your ROM back to the Stock BIOS.   If the BIOS-MOD was the problem that will fix it.

Edited by Joe_Miner

I split this off into it's own topic for a couple reasons.  Mainly though I think this is the first time we are hearing about errors like this from the modified BIOS.

I found what causes the error, but still its reported as a FIRMWARE BUG.

My system boots off a USB stick inserted to the internal onboard connector.

I run some script doing massive symlinking ~4000 links.

Those are stored on the USB stick also.

It crashes there. ACPI on/off with the hacked bios does not matter it is always a crash.

Will try the original bios the next days and see if its the same or not.

That would be great if you can test it.  I tried to notify the guy who created the Modified BIOS to see if he has any thoughts but we really need to know if your problem exists on the original BIOS too.

Thanks for keeping us up to date and welcome to our forums!

Ok first of all I am using a stock HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L.

I build a Sata HD into the top slot and 2 more to the drive bays.

Thats all.

Testing is done. Bit of a hassle since i needed 4 USB Sticks to do it fast and replicate errors. All running 100% the same software!

Hacked bios on optimized defaults + Chipset & Advanced settings toggled so all ports are on Sata 300.

When i run my script i get the same error as mentioned above.

Stock bios

No error