RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Virtualization Options

ToyCeli22

HI

Trying to build out a new server and can't really decide on the best combination of host/guests to build.  Hoping soemone can help me out.

The goal is to have a whs/htpc as I am trying to consume as little power as possible.

scenario 1

2012e host with vmware workstation running a win7 guest

scenario 2

win8 host with hyperv 2012e (for remote access and dashboard) and win7 guest

scenario 3

2011 whs host and vmware workstation with win7 guest.

please let me know if there are any other combinations that could be better.

Edited by ToyCeli22

If you are looking to have the physical box near the tv and run virtualization on it, might be best to go with win8 as host for the ability to run wmc with good performance.. U can virtualize 2012e or whs 2011,r or just setup shares on the win machine and run a backup program on it. All depends what your reasoning is for this setup.

I would probably go for Windows Server 2012 and run a Windows 7 or 8 (7 or 8 doesn't matter, it's what you prefer) guest via Hyper V.

I agree with nlitend1. If you want it by a TV and will use it as an HTPC I would installl Windows 8 and use its VM management for the server. Otherwise I would use S2008R2 or S2012.

What's the name of the new small form factor Intel PC?  Looks like it could do the trick for an HTPC

Why not make things complicated, and go with WS2012E, install WDS, configure it for "WDSLINUX" (pxelinux over WDS), install NFS, configure the PXELINUX thing for XBMCBuntu, and then hack the initrd to enable partial persistance, and configure XBMC to use a shared library via MySQL.   And then boot into XBMCBuntu over the network on small, low powered boxes?