Shane

Remote Access To Backed Up Files

Shane

Sorry Ikon, I have downloaded AllWaySync and I am playing with it now.

It sounds like a good sugestion. Thanks.

I am now on a mission, though, to work out how to access the Server Backed up files when operating remotely.

Joe_Miner

Shane:

Something to consider (this requires some additional HW):

• pick up a small energy efficient PC/Server (such as a used N40L or N36L) and make it a VM Server on your network (Host being W8Pro64b, 2008R2, S2012, ….) -- I'm thinking Hyper-V
  • get & set up VPN to the VM Server
  • Have a VM client on the VM Server tied into your WHS-2011 as a Client – from the client you can get into the WHS-2011 dashboard and/or from that client you can RDT into the WHS-2011
  • From the VM Server Host you can create a VM and do a restore from the WHS-2011 to that VM or you could restore & look at files in your Client VM
  • If you need to look at the restored file(s) in Access on your laptop you could drop the file in DropBox or SkyDrive on the Client VM.

Just a thought………………

Edited by Joe_Miner

Jason

I've tried AllwaySync but personally prefer Syncback Pro. Primarily for SBP's ability to run multiple synch "jobs" that can be setup using a more straight forward and intuitive UI. With the ability to schedule them independently. I found AWS to be a bit wonky in this area.

Drashna Jaelre

Access the backup files remotely?

Well, you could use the build in website to connect to a client computer, then load up the dashboard and then access the files.  And then copy them to the \\tsclient\ share.... :P

Shane

Thanks Joe_Miner, but my technical ability does not extend this far

Hi Drasha, I am not sure if your serious or not. :mellow:

But if I did log onto the server via another PC then I guess I would only see that PC's backed up data.

There must be a way to access the backed up files when not connected to the home network server.... surely .... maybe .....

Perhaps I will stick with AllwaySync or Syncback Pro.

Either way I am extremely happy with the N54L and the ability to back up the family and work PCs, it all happens seamlessly.

Thanks eveyone for your input

Shane
Sydney, Australia

Shane

Access the backup files remotely?

Well, you could use the build in website to connect to a client computer, then load up the dashboard and then access the files.  And then copy them to the \\tsclient\ share.... :P

Finally working away and tried this and it worked great.

Exactly as you said.

Thanks Drashna

Shane

Mackay, Australia

Drashna Jaelre

:)

Yeah, the tsclient trick is a nice one. :P

As for accessing backups remotely.... :(

At best. Alex from coveCube has a "dump" program that may work (creates a VHD at least)