Shane

Remote Access To Backed Up Files

ikon    420
ikon

Call me crazy, but I can't help but think that trying to back up your laptop over a VPN link is going to be seriously slow. I think restoring the laptop would be even slower.

To facilitate access to data files, I recommend using a 'split backup' approach: back up the Client PC OS drive using WHS Client Backup and use a sync program like RoboCopy or AllWaySync to back up client data to a share on the server. I feel this will give the best access to the data files as it only requires a simple link to the server, not the Client Restore.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Call me crazy, but I can't help but think that trying to back up your laptop over a VPN link is going to be seriously slow. I think restoring the laptop would be even slower.

To facilitate access to data files, I recommend using a 'split backup' approach: back up the Client PC OS drive using WHS Client Backup and use a sync program like RoboCopy or AllWaySync to back up client data to a share on the server. I feel this will give the best access to the data files as it only requires a simple link to the server, not the Client Restore.

I'd never try to restore over a VPN connection.......NEVER.  Access the files, sure, but never restore.

ikon    420
ikon

Well, if I had a secure T3 line........ :D

• Like 1

Shane    3
Shane

Ok, so I will ditch the backup and restore option, until I go crazy  :) 

I guess I was not specifically trying to retore the entire drive, but just wanted to access specific files that may have gone astray whilst working away.

I use an Access database so the file name stays the same but the database is continually updated at each backup cycle, so I would like to be able to grab old versions of this file.

Can the actual backed up data files be viewed over the internet without the client PC plugged into the WHS server network ?

Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes ...

Thanks again

Shane

jmwills    283
jmwills

Why not enable Shadow copies on the local machine?  You could also backup that volume as needed.

Yes, you should be able to open any file as needed for restore.  The restore process is more granular than the backup process.

ImTheTypeOfGuy    33
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Why not enable Shadow copies on the local machine?  You could also backup that volume as needed.

Yes, you should be able to open any file as needed for restore.  The restore process is more granular than the backup process.

...and the machine does not have to be on the network or turned on. Oh wait, that is true for v1, hopefully someone else can confirm for 2011.

jmwills    283
jmwills

Yes, the client machine would have to be remoted into the network in order to open the backup set.

Shane    3
Shane

OK, this is sounding promising, perhaps a local backup may be an answer.

So is it possible to see backups that are on the WHS2011 server when operating remotely ?

Is this possible ?

Shane

Brisbane, Australia

jmwills    283
jmwills

You can see the files, but determining what they are in something entirely different.  I believe what you see are actually pointers to the actual data.

ikon    420
ikon

Again, see my earlier post about using RoboCopy, AllWaySync, etc. for backing up your data. It would be so much easier to access your data files.