RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Moving an OS disk to a HighPoint RocketRaid 2720SGL SATA III Port

Joe_Miner

Hi.  I have an OS installed on a 60GB SSD that I have been running in a machine on a SATA II port off of the System Board and what I would like to do is install a RR2720 in the machine and plug to OS drive into one of it’s SATA III port.  I believe it should work but believe somehow I need to install the HighPoint drivers onto the OS disk before plugging it into the RR.  There should be a way to do this – or am I just over thinking it?

What I've done so far: I tried just plugging the SSD in – it shows as a legacy drive in the RR BIOS Menu – and when I let it continue on it does try to boot but I get a warning that the OS has been damaged and when I clicked repair (well, it seemed like a good idea) it thinks for awhile and then comes back and tells me the OS disk is protected and can’t be modified(!?!)  -- That’s why I guessed that I needed to get the RR drivers onto the OS disk first.

Hi.  I have an OS installed on a 60GB SSD that I have been running in a machine on a SATA II port off of the System Board and what I would like to do is install a RR2720 in the machine and plug to OS drive into one of it’s SATA III port.  I believe it should work but believe somehow I need to install the HighPoint drivers onto the OS disk before plugging it into the RR.  There should be a way to do this – or am I just over thinking it?

What I've done so far: I tried just plugging the SSD in – it shows as a legacy drive in the RR BIOS Menu – and when I let it continue on it does try to boot but I get a warning that the OS has been damaged and when I clicked repair (well, it seemed like a good idea) it thinks for awhile and then comes back and tells me the OS disk is protected and can’t be modified(!?!)  -- That’s why I guessed that I needed to get the RR drivers onto the OS disk first.

One issue is the the RR I believe does not suppport AHCI whcih I assume was setup on the your inital SSD install.  You will most likely have to do a fresh install.  Not sure I would go the route you are going and I would leave the SSD off the RAID Card.  If you do want to do it that way, then it should give you the opportunity to load the drivers on a fress install when you first select the disk.

One issue is the the RR I believe does not suppport AHCI whcih I assume was setup on the your inital SSD install.  You will most likely have to do a fresh install.  Not sure I would go the route you are going and I would leave the SSD off the RAID Card.  If you do want to do it that way, then it should give you the opportunity to load the drivers on a fress install when you first select the disk.

Thanks PCDoc.  Yes the SSD was setup AHCI -- I was just starting to get excited reading Analog's posting when I saw your reply.  I was experimenting with this on the MicroServer with an eye to applying what I learned to my X58 desktop to get more speed out of my drives :) --

When you attached your single drives to the the 2720 for your testing of StorageSpaces a while back was your OS on a seperate controller?  Did you just attach them and they showed up as legacy drives or did you initialize them as JBOD's?

Thanks PCDoc.  Yes the SSD was setup AHCI -- I was just starting to get excited reading Analog's posting when I saw your reply.  I was experimenting with this on the MicroServer with an eye to applying what I learned to my X58 desktop to get more speed out of my drives :) --

When you attached your single drives to the the 2720 for your testing of StorageSpaces a while back was your OS on a seperate controller?  Did you just attach them and they showed up as legacy drives or did you initialize them as JBOD's?

I have never used RR for the OS, I have always used the motherbaord for the OS drive.  The other factor is the non-Intel SATA 3 controller are slower than a native intel sata 3 controller so your gain will not be as high.  Instead of ~250 MB/s on sata 2, you will probably get ~325 MB/s on the RR, vs the 500-550 you would get from a native intel controller on your motherboard.  If you want maximum smoke, change the motherbaord to one that supports sata 3, and throw your data drives on the RR.  I realize that is not an option on your micro server but on other system that would be a better choice.  As a side benifit, there will no AHCI issues if you just switch to a controller that supports such as a new motherboard.  Hope that helps.

Would the registry 'trick' to switch away from AHCI be an option here?

You could try it but the reg hack is for the other direction.  It goes from standard IDE to ACHI.  Never had luck going the other way but it sure would not hurt to try.

Actually, I have gone the other way and, surprisingly, it worked. My concern, though, was if there might be an issue because the drive would be moving from the system BIOS to the RR BIOS. I just don't know the answer to that question; don't even have an inkling.

Interesting, as I had the opposite experience.  That is a good point though about the controller.  It might be possible to go up into safe mode and load the drivers for the RR card once you get past the AHCI thing.  I still think it is primarly the AHCI as IDE uses MS drivers which do work on the RR.

I have never used RR for the OS, I have always used the motherbaord for the OS drive.  The other factor is the non-Intel SATA 3 controller are slower than a native intel sata 3 controller so your gain will not be as high.  Instead of ~250 MB/s on sata 2, you will probably get ~325 MB/s on the RR, vs the 500-550 you would get from a native intel controller on your motherboard.  If you want maximum smoke, change the motherbaord to one that supports sata 3, and throw your data drives on the RR.  I realize that is not an option on your micro server but on other system that would be a better choice.  As a side benifit, there will no AHCI issues if you just switch to a controller that supports such as a new motherboard.  Hope that helps.

Actually it is a BIG help. Thanks!

I had worked with the R640L in the X58 when I was running Win7p on it which required you to be in AHCI mode (the R640L) – it worked great off of Ports 1 & 3 (i.e. Near Advertised Speeds – if you loaded all 4 ports it would drag the speed down) for SSD’s and it worked great in Win8p till I tried to initialize Hyper-V and it’s Marvell controller chips conflicted as did the Marvell chips on the X58 but then the Marvell GSATA III’s have really poor performance so it was no big loss to disable them in BIOS – but I did miss the speed from the R640L.

It slipped my mind that a RAID card shouldn’t be doing AHCI (hope I don’t lose my geek card over that)  :blink:  --

If Intel fixes their little USB3 problem the Haswell’s are looking pretty interesting – now more than before.  The GA-Z87X-UD5H has 4 SATA III ports and 6 GSATA III’s I believe among many other goodies.

Edited by Joe_Miner

It slipped my mind that a RAID card shouldn’t be doing AHCI (hope I don’t lose my geek card over that)  :blink:  --

As punishment, you have to.......                 eat a whole box of doughnuts!! :D :D