RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client backup cleanup not executing?

revengineer

This morning I woke up to a message that my client backup cleanup has not executed in 14 days. To resolve the issue, I clicked on the "repair issue" link in the alert viewer, which seemed to have worked just fine.

However, to dig into the cause of the issue I looked at the task scheduler and noticed that the date for the last time this task has run was 3/9/13. It is supposed to run every Saturday. Similarly, the "ConsistencyChecker" task has not executed since 3/10/13. Checking the history, I found it completely empty for both tasks, and I could not find any event viewer entries either. The tasks are enabled and so is capturing the history for all tasks. 

For test purposes I fired off both tasks, one at a time, by right-clicking the tasks and selecting "run". Both executed without errors and the execution was logged in the history.

Because I cannot find the right logging information, I am not sure whether the tasks are actually failing or whether they are not starting in the first place. If anyone has some advice for troubleshooting, I take it gladly.

TIA.

WHS 2011 open event viewer. Applications and Services Logs/Windows Server. Event ID 274 is Cleanup Started and 275 is Cleanup Completed.

WHS 2011 open event viewer. Applications and Services Logs/Windows Server. Event ID 274 is Cleanup Started and 275 is Cleanup Completed.

Thanks, I will check this out within the next days to see what is happening under the hood.

I checked the logs and found my two manual starts to cleanup the backup database, which I started last Sunday morning (4/7/13). However, the automatic check which was supposed to happen on Saturday (4/6/13) at 11:59 pm is nowhere to be found. Is there a way to find out why a task that is scheduled and enabled does not execute as planned?

Usually the reason is bad credentials, but you've been running the scheduled task manually, so that should not apply. What is the Last Run Result beside the Scheduled Task?

If you know the last time it ran successfully, you could restore to a point just before that see what happens.

Usually the reason is bad credentials, but you've been running the scheduled task manually, so that should not apply. What is the Last Run Result beside the Scheduled Task?

From the manual execution yesterday it reads "The operation completed successfully. (0x0)" I think the same was true yesterday before manual execution when the last run time showed 3/9/13. So it does not look like I have a bad backup database. It appears that the schedule is simply not executing.

If you know the last time it ran successfully, you could restore to a point just before that see what happens.

Ugh, that sounds drastic, and I rather not do this on a production machine. I will keep this in mind as a last resort.

From the manual execution yesterday it reads "The operation completed successfully. (0x0)" I think the same was true yesterday before manual execution when the last run time showed 3/9/13. So it does not look like I have a bad backup database. It appears that the schedule is simply not executing.

That certainly sounds like it has the right credentials, and can execute properly if it's run. I presume you've checked the Triggers?

Ikon, yes I have. Trigger reads "Weekly; At 11:59PM every Saturday of every week, starting 1/23/13; enabled". Looks good to me. Let's see what happens this Saturday...