RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

move from n40l WHS2011 to n54l 2012 Essentials, keep drivepool intact?

has anyone done this move? going from n40l WHS2011 to n54l 2012 Essentials....got 2x3tb drives on the n40l which are in the drivepool...not everything

is set for duplication....I want to move the 2 drives over to the new n54l system...wondering if anyone has experience doing this??

any tips?

Thanks!

yep, backup, backup, backup. Then, what do you mean by drivepool? WHS2011 doesn't have native drive pooling, so I have to think you're talking about Stabiebit, or perhaps Drive Bender, but I'm not sure.

If it is Stablebit, I would think it would be pretty easy; most likely just connect all the DrvePool HDDs, install DrivePool on the system, and enjoy.

yup...using stablebit drivepool........a backup of the actual boot/system drive doesnt matter right? just the 2 3tb drives where the drivepool stuff is?

...also, assuming i'll lose client backups of network PCs for now?

....hmmm....for things like my itunes collection....backup all the library files and stuff and deauthorize itunes on that pc i guess right?

I would think you'll have to use Disk Manager to 'import' the data drives into WSE2012 before you can use them in DrivePool again.

Yes, AFAIK, you will lose the Client PC backups because WSE2012 uses a different format for backups.

Sorry, can't help with iTunes cause you couldn't pay me to use it :)

i know...itunes is a bloated joke...but, it's actually worked out well for me working with itunes match to keep everything available everywhere...iphone, ipad, 3 pcs....

...still trying backup my pool data before taking the jump to n54l....

....also, i have to make sure the n54l is working well before sending in a mail in rebate...i wont have any problems as far the domain stuff if i wanna install 2012 essentials to mess around and make sure the n54l works OK...and then re-install it cleanly for when i add my drivepool stuff from the n40l right?

Just to be safe, I would ensure you remove any PC and User accounts from the domain before taking the domain down. In fact, I would be tempted to restore my Client PCs from a backup that was done before the Domain was created. Domains can be finicky; I always err on the side of caution when making changes to the Domain.

Don't get me wrong, Domains are fantastic if done correctly. They eliminate all kinds of password synchronization and other issues, but they do demand you configure and maintain them properly.