RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
MaxHitZ

Slow data transferring

MaxHitZ

Seems like Ive got a bunch of gremlins hiding in my controllers somewhere, transfer speeds from disk to disk in my n54l are like 2-3mbps

formatted using vsphere - windows 7vm

ikon

Can't help but believe that it's got something to do with vSphere and the VM. Have you tried using some spare drives and just doing a plain installation, and then testing?

MaxHitZ

transfer speeds are like 2-4mbps, as is the network.  After googling these issues seems its vmware related, its like they throttle write speed or something.  As im new to vm's its proving difficult to find a solution.

To be sure, im trying a standalone installation of ubuntu...

ikon

I'd almost bet money the standalone Ubuntu will be a lot faster.

MaxHitZ

ya, that was a safe bet i'd imagine.  What options do i have regarding opening up transfer speed across my vm?

ikon

jmwills, do you really think Jumbo Frames could make that much of a difference? I guess one question is whether the HD to HD transfers are within a single VM or between VMs.

MaxHitZ

In this case, it is HD to HD on the same vm

Nice little anomolie here, i just copied a 900mb file in about 20 seconds, i thought all my muckin round had made an impact, so i tried to shift a few gb... heres the thing, it starts off at 30, 31, creeps up a little bit 33, 34, 35 gets hit by a truck or something, then slams down 29, 28, 27, 26, 22, 19 etc etc. all the way down to 5 or so

ikon

That sounds a lot like a cache getting full. IOW, things go great at the start because the data is being written to a disk cache on the destination VM. When the cache gets full (because the data can't be written to the physical disk fast enough to keep the cache from filling up), things really slow down.

An interesting phenomena of cache filling issues is that they are more of a problem with large volume than small. So, for example, take an HDD with a 1GB cache: a 1 GB file might copy really quickly but a 2 GB file might not. This is not real-world; it's just for illustration.

MaxHitZ

im going to try esxi 4.1 update 3, see if that changes anything