RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

crashplan?..ok to use while not officially supported on whs2011?

capall

Hi all,

I'm finalizing my Microserver N40L backup plan and noticed that a lot of you, including our podcast hosts are using Crashplan to back up their servers. Cloudberry also seems to be a popular option by a lot of you.

How safe is it to use Crashplan since its not officially supported, neither as an official add-in or normal application? Or are you generally using it as a secondary backup option, hence not too concerned. If so, that begs the question, why use it if you're not 100% safe with it?

A big plus with Cloudberry and Crashplan is that you can use them (and hence a single program) for both onsite and offsite backup, which I'd like to do as well.

My plan is

One 2TB data drive mirrored internally, for up-time (copy 1)

Same 2Tb data drive backed up to 2 external drives in an external enclosure, rotating one offsite monthly (Copies 2 and 3)

Then use a cloud storage option for another copy of critical data online (copy 4 of critical data),

Some Cloud options;

whs2011 officially supported ; cloudberrry ($30) with Amazon S3 ($1 per month per 10GB), Keepvault free (approx $1 per month per 10GB), carbonite ($20/month first 250GB), Jungle disk ($5/month +  storage fees of approx $1 per month per 10GB)

non official supported..many such as Crashplan, mozy, backblaze etc

And there's tons of other programs such as allway sync, robocopy, sync toy that are sync programs, also not officially supported but are good for local backup copies that some of you are also using.

Thanks

derek

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• capall

• ikon

• Jason

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Technical method? Try it on a test server; see if it installs, if it runs, if it conflicts with anything else on the server. Is there a 100% fool-proof way? No.   No one, not even MS, can tell you a

I use Crashplan on 2012 and have run it on WHS 2011.  There are no issues running and the core OS is supported it just does not have the console integration make it an official app.  That said it works great and for data backup to the cloud I really recommend it.

http://thedocsworld.net/backup-strategy/

I also use Crashplan on WS2012e. I've even started backing up my client backup folder to cloud. Only you can't do client or server backups while CP is running or they fail. Likely file locking.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I use it on WHS v1 and s2008r2. I back up to the cloud and to each machine. Very good program.

Also FWIW if you turn off deduplication your backups to cloud transfer faster. I use the default encryption settings.

Thanks guys, so you obviously have no concerns at all then with crashplan either not performing a complete backup or corrupting the data, either the backup data or even the original data on the server itself?

Thanks

derek

It would be extraordinarily disappointing if Crashplan, or any backup software for that matter, were to corrupt source data.

jcollison

Thanks guys, so you obviously have no concerns at all then with crashplan either not performing a complete backup or corrupting the data, either the backup data or even the original data on the server itself?

Thanks

derek

No worries