RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8: Can this OS be saved? Debate

schoondoggy

I'm for yes.  If, and only if, they can offer users an alternative to the "metro" monstrosity.  Bring back my 'native' Start menu!

Install Start8. It's $5 to Stardock, a long established company. It's great, and works great, and makes WIndows8 totally usable on a desktop. Install that, and it's the only thing you really need to do to Windows 8 to "fix" it. Otherwise, it's a great OS, runs better than Win7, hands down.

Install Start8. It's $5 to Stardock, a long established company. It's great, and works great, and makes WIndows8 totally usable on a desktop. Install that, and it's the only thing you really need to do to Windows 8 to "fix" it. Otherwise, it's a great OS, runs better than Win7, hands down.

Totally agree except for the dual monitor support which is still broken especially if you have to occasionally go to the metro UI.

I haven't had a chance to really mess around with multiple monitors, but what little I did do.... yeah, that can be a pain. :(

Yes, Windows 8 is a success in my book.  I think it's great and have it on all my machines.  

I like it on my desktop with 3 monitors -- absolutely love having Hyper-V on my desktop too.

• Like 1

The topic implies it needs to be saved. I guess I don't believe it does because it is fine as is. You just have to use the proper hardware. If you put it on a non-touch device and don't like it, It is your own fault, not Microsofts. But we do need to see more touch monitors.

• Like 1

The topic implies it needs to be saved. I guess I don't believe it does because it is fine as is. You just have to use the proper hardware. If you put it on a non-touch device and don't like it, It is your own fault, not Microsofts. But we do need to see more touch monitors.

Yeah, my first thought was, "Who says it needs saving?".

Agreed. Doesn't really need saving. And honestly, having both touch and non-touch hardware, I like it on both. I admit that I install Start8 on all of the devices, and have it boot to desktop, so the experience really isn't that different between 7 and 8 for me.

I have gone 100% to Win8 on my non-touch desktop and love the touch

component on my wife's new notebook.  No going back for me, but I do

agree it can be a bit half-baked in the Metro/Classic environment at times.

• Like 1