RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
axoid

My development desktop died

axoid

My main desktop died yesterday. It was at least 5 years old (AMD 965 Black on a Gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h) and died while transcoding video when I was at work. When I power it on now the fans come on and the hard drives spin up, but the MB doesn't boot.

So I'm looking to replace the MB and CPU. I currently looking at a Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz which I can get at Microcenter for $150 and GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD4 Motherboard that Newegg has for $115. I'll probably throw 8Gb of ram in it too.

Any other suggestions? Keep in mind that I want to keep the cost down since I didn't budget for a new machine right now.

Thanks,

cskenney

New power supply!  Or test the old one if you want to reuse it.  It actually may be what died on your current system.

axoid

New power supply!  Or test the old one if you want to reuse it.  It actually may be what died on your current system.

The power supply was the problem. Replaced it and the machine booted right up. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

ikon

Bazinga! :D

jcollison

Good call Chris!

Joe_Miner

The power supply was the problem. Replaced it and the machine booted right up. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Nice catch Chris!! :D

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, PSU failure seems to be fairly common. Though, I'd recommend checking the hardware if you can, just to make sure none of it was damaged by the PSU, just to be on the safe side.