RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raspberry Pi Setups

chris888

Starting a thread for quick posts on raspberry pi uses.

If you own one stick a brief post below and tell us what your using it for.

My R-Pi setup = xbmc on big TV :D

Config:

xbian

fstab NFS mount for media & userdata
mysql & symlinks (rather than path-substitution) for library sharing

I have my Raspi running Domoticz with an RFXTRX433 transceiver, controlling my lighting, reading temperatures inside and out, and monitoring my electricity usage.  :)

Domoticz

RFXCOM

Although I run XBMC on two HTPCs, I have tried it on the Raspi and found that it struggled with HD from my WHS2011 SMB shares.  :(

My RPI currently has RaspBMC on it.  I too have tried BR off my server and the RPI stutters too much.  I have read a lot about trying different things to eliminate the stuttering.  I am in the camp if it is that difficult getting it to work then I will just move on.

I have been meaning to try Plex with my RPi but I also have a Roku that works just fine.

My Pi is presently indexing newsgroups for me using newznab. It works well for indexing a few groups, although I would not go for alt.binaries.boneless with this setup.

• 8 months later...

my rasp ran XBMC and I found XBMC doing too much in one go and being to slow compared to eg. WD TV Live Hub, however, I both fell in love with XBMC and Rasp PI, I just need to revive both in separate projects.

I aim to put XMBC on a virtual HTPC with passthru gpu and do some baby-cam streaming or retro gaming with the rasp. Its definitely a cute little unit!

I look forward to reading about your experiences with passing a GPU through to a VM. Most comments in the forums from those who have tried it have not been very positive.

Hmmmm I run OpenElec on my R-Pi, its mildly overclocked to 900Mhz and runs all my HD content from my server stutter free! great little device... just the power supply I find a bit of a drag... a dedicated on/off button would be handy, they do make them as a kit but not that cheap... I did find it a little bit clunky before the overclock to be honest... 

Hmmmm I run OpenElec on my R-Pi, its mildly overclocked to 900Mhz and runs all my HD content from my server stutter free! great little device... just the power supply I find a bit of a drag... a dedicated on/off button would be handy, they do make them as a kit but not that cheap... I did find it a little bit clunky before the overclock to be honest... 

It's possible that OpenElec, the overclocking or a combination of both is what took care of the stuttering.  The overclocking may be enough on my own installation to make it stop stuttering too.

How are you pulling the HD content and in what format?  Are you directly accessing the shares and OpenElec is pulling HD from a ripped folder format?

Yeah I think there has been a lot of progress in the OpenElec/XBMC code for the R-Pi but overclocking made it so much smoother in the interface as well as playback...

This is the sort of thing you edit in the config text file...

“None” 700MHz ARM, 250MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt
“Modest” 800MHz ARM, 300MHz core, 400MHz SDRAM, 0 overvolt
“Medium” 900MHz ARM, 333MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 2 overvolt
“High” 950MHz ARM, 450MHz core, 450MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt
“Turbo” 1000MHz ARM, 500MHz core, 500MHz SDRAM, 6 overvolt

The HD files are stored on an HP N40L Microserver running WSE2012 (just rebuilding the pool due to a failed WD Red HDD) they're in a SMB shared folder and MKV in format... usually about 5 - 7Gb per rip. Its all connected via Cat6 and Gigabit D-Link switches... the only bottleneck I have on the network is a pair of 500Mb Buffalo powerline plugins that connects my 'man-cave' where the sever is located to the rest of the house... this will go direct with Cat6 when the summer comes and I can get some more building work done... but they have caused no issues thus far.