RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Esxi and v Sphere

MaxHitZ

Im trying to run my n54L using vm's etc,  and have run into an impass.  Ive never used vms before.

status at the moment is, installed w7 on vm, works fine, but im not sure how to add the 2 empty 3tb hdd's

Investigate the topic, "Add a Data Store"  The ESXi install should see those two extra drives and then you would add them as Data Stores.  Where did you install the Windows 7 instance?

Im trying to run my n54L using vm's etc,  and have run into an impass.  Ive never used vms before.

status at the moment is, installed w7 on vm, works fine, but im not sure how to add the 2 empty 3tb hdd's

Hi, in which way do you want to use n54L? like repository? 

It's' almost simple, in the server you ave to install some NAS software and export via some sort of tecnique hdd space, you can use iscsi and nfs for compatibility with esxi i prefere iscsi with dedicated nic in esxi and in n54l too 

To configure nas software to export some hdd or volume, you have to read nas's sofware manual, in esxi it's' simple.

First of all you have to define a virtual adapter only for iscsi or nfs traffic, connect to nas, and add datastore 

Installing esxi was easy as 123, same as installing vm's and the like, but making storage for media servers and torrents is so difficult, im not sure how but im stumped

N54L -

500GB Hdd (exci, vm1-w7 on 75GB allocation)

3TB red (vmfs format thru sphere)

3TB red (vmfs format thru sphere)

3TB Hitachi (old ntfs hdd, which ill worry about later)

so far heres a pic of what i have been able to accomplish

i increased my vm1 utilising my 3tb red (mucking around), but still no extra space i can use (partition or the like).. Thats why my data storage is  larger than 500GB  (data stores)

1304041456570075.jpg

this is all i can see regards my other drives (devices)

1304041456570084.jpg

im pretty sure theres something wrong here (storage adapters)

1304041456570090.jpg

edit*i only have vsphere and esxi5.1 installed...  or something

Edited by MaxHitZ

Okay, I'm not following your problem.  ESXi see all 5 disks so all you need to do is create a new datastore from each of the 5 disks.  You will not be able to create one large (RAID) datastore due to the lack of compatibility.

Some of those menus can be confusing and not straightforward, but glad to have helped.