RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nest Learning Thermostats

jmwills

Does anyone have any experience with one of these or possibly suggest something similar?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_86217-22742-T200577_0__?productId=3878572&Ntt=nest+learning+thermostat&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dnest%2Blearning%2Bthermostat&facetInfo=

It looks way to cool (sorry for the pun) but as much as the wife and I are gone, this could possibly pay for itself with WiFi capability.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

• G. WadeTech

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard of 'em, never seen one. To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't a lot more internet enabled devices in our homes. How about clocks for one: no more having to correct the time on clocks, or set them forward and back for the start and end of DST.

I had one for a few months and it actually raised my energy bills!  It will turn on heat and AC before you actually need to.  For example, before I had this device I would turn the thermostat up when I got out of bed in the morning.  With this device it will turn on the heat about 15 minutes before you get up.  So....I would have the heat on more hours per month by using this device.  I turn down my heat and AC when I leave the house.  With the nest, it will turn them down sometime after you leave.  I think you kind of get the idea.  It may work in some environments where you have users that never pay attention to manually regulating their heat and cooling. 

Heard of 'em, never seen one. To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't a lot more internet enabled devices in our homes. How about clocks for one: no more having to correct the time on clocks, or set them forward and back for the start and end of DST.

You don't need it for clocks. Just by atomic clocks and they will automatically update to the worlds standard time.

I had one for a few months and it actually raised my energy bills!  It will turn on heat and AC before you actually need to.  For example, before I had this device I would turn the thermostat up when I got out of bed in the morning.  With this device it will turn on the heat about 15 minutes before you get up.  So....I would have the heat on more hours per month by using this device.  I turn down my heat and AC when I leave the house.  With the nest, it will turn them down sometime after you leave.  I think you kind of get the idea.  It may work in some environments where you have users that never pay attention to manually regulating their heat and cooling. 

The problem is they are a learning thermostat. So if you set your heat to be 75F at 7 AM, the heat will actually turn on early enough to ensure it is 75F at 7. It doesn't wait until 7 and then turn on the heat. I hate the learning features of thermostats because the heat turns on based on the temperature in the house. So if it is 65 in the house it would turn on much earliery than if it was 68. Again, I hate this feature and most thermostats, especially ones for high energy efficiency won't let you turn it off. I purchased a SEER 16 unit and it won't let you turn it off so in reality it burns more power trying to be efficient. Did I mention I hate this feature? ;)

So, you had rather get up to a cold house and then let it warm up?  Seems to me all you're doing is time shifting and would be turning it off earlier than if you had waited to turn it on when you got up.

So, you had rather get up to a cold house and then let it warm up?  Seems to me all you're doing is time shifting and would be turning it off earlier than if you had waited to turn it on when you got up.

Definitely. The problem with it turnining on before the time you want is it starts heating the house while you are still sleeping and it wakes you up. I want it to turn on after I wake up. It only time shifts in the morning. In the evening it just turns off because the evening setting would be cooler so it would just turn off.

LOL, you hardy soul you. I prefer to have the house comfortable when I get up, so I like the idea of the furnace coming on early enough to get the house up to temperature.