RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Backups on RAID 5

The Jason

Does anybody else have their client backup folder on a RAID 5 array?  My Server 2012 Essentials has been running flawlessly since I installed it (shortly after GA).  Yesterday, it reported errors in my client backup database, so I did a repair.  I lost all backups for one PC, but it still reported errors.  I repaired again, and all backups for a second PC are now incomplete (lost the C drive but managed to save the System Reserve partition - woohoo! <_<).

It no longer reports any errors, and I'm about to try a manual client PC backup.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to have my backup folder on a RAID 5 array, particularly since they are WD Green drives (Highpoint 2720sgl with 4 x 2TB WD Green).  Does anybody else have a similar configuration?  I suppose it could be a slight spin down during a backup that causes this problem.  I haven't had any other problems with data on the array, though.  My old WHS2011 install also had some problems with the backup database.  I may get a couple extra drives to install and have the backups go to a single drive.

Thoughts?

There is no reason why you cannot copy your backups to a RAID 5 as I did that for quite a while.  That said, I am not sure I would do it on green drives as there is constant I/O when doing backup so you increase the chances of errors or recovery timing problems.  I ran it on green drives and had no issues but I would just be cautious.  Just my two cents.

Good Plan.  I like the reds but as they where not around when I set up my raid, I am using the Seagate 3T 7200 and I love the extra performance.