RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Disk Drives not Recognised in HP N40L

parinnotts

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue with one of my HP N40L micro servers - the hard disks in my HP N40L micro server are no longer recognised.

The issue became evident after I had removed the motherboard in the server in order to do some testing with a different HP N40L micro server.

If I connect a hard disk to the internal SATA connector on the motherboard it is recognised and the server boots happily into Windows 7.

The latest BIOS was already being used by the motherboard. However, I have tried using older HP BIOS versions and modified versions of BIOS but the hard disks that are inserted in the 4 bays are never recognised.

I have tried many different types of hard disk in the first bay - including the 250 Gbyte drive that was provided with the HP N40L when I first bought it.

No additional cards are inserted in the motherboard PCIe slots.

I tried the motherboard in a different HP N40L chassis and the hard drives inserted in this chassis were also not seen in BIOS either - the issue seems to relate to the motherboard.

I have tried a different motherboard from a different HP N40L micro server in the two HP N40L chassis's and the hard drives are seen in both cases. As a consequence the chassis's and associated mini SAS cab(i.e. that provides the connection between the motherboard and the hard drive bays) seems fine.

It could well be that I have managed to damage the motherboard but I cannot help feeling the BIOS on the motherboard is the root cause of the issue - although as detailed above I have tried various versions of BIOS and the hard disks are still not recognised.

Any suggestions/thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,

Paul.

Check the order of the BOOT in the BIOS. In your testing, this might have gotten skewed. I would also flash back to the original version to insure you are back to a stable platform.

I agree with jmwills.  I would also take a close look at the SAS connector on the motherboard.  It is quite possible that you have damaged this connector or the solder joints that connect it to the board.  In the past there are some people who had an issue where the drives in the 4 bay cage were not recognized.  These users were able to determine that the SAS connector was not plugged in properly.

If those things don't check out then you probably need to consider contacting HP if your system is still under warranty.

Yeah. A  number of members have posted about having difficulties with the SAS connector on the motherboard, particularly when trying to remove the plug from the jack.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try and use a magnifying glass to see if I can see any issues with the SAS connector on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, the server is out of warranty.

Cheers,

Paul.