RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
HolisticDeveloper

What type of drive ships with the N54L?

ikon

Yes, the included drive is mounted in 1 of the 4 drive cage slots. Yes, the MicroServer uses drive caddies. Unfortunately, they're not quick-mount caddies; you have to screw the drives into the caddies. I wish the caddies were a lot more like the ones that came with my Acer H340.

Fantasysage

I was wondering about the 250gb hard drive that comes with the N54L?  From what I understand from this thread, the 250gb drive is a LFF or 3.5 inch hard drive.  Is this 250gb drive mounted in one of the 4 drive caddies or trays, reducing the available bays to 3?  Does the N54L include drive bays/caddies. or are these purchased separately? 

Thanks,

To add to this yes, it is a 'slim' 3.5" HDD but it takes standard mounting holes. Not a bad HDD by any means, I think I am going to use mine in a productivity build down the road. Other than that I have limited use for a 250gb hdd.

judgeschambers

To Fantasysage's point, it is a slim 3.5. I just pulled mine out of my N54L and I'd not noticed it prior. Hmmm.  Took a snap shot too for posterity.

HP Hologram Sticker:

• Replace with spare PN: 571517-001

Seagate Sticker:

• Barracuda 7200.12
  • 250 gb 7200 RPM SATA
  • PN 9SL131-842
  • ST3250318AS
  • HP MODEL: VB0250EAVER

Specs Here

I have mine in bay #1 left. Then my twin Seagate 2TBs after that in bays #2-3.  Drive Pool does not even use it as far as with duplication, and serves no purpose so far. I've no use for a drive that little either and it will go to the shelf once I get two more Seagates. ;)

(My OS is on an SSD mounted up in the top bay.)

Edited by judgeschambers

ikon

I used it as the OS drive. I don't want any data on my OS drives.

LoneWolf

I used it as the OS drive. I don't want any data on my OS drives.

Ditto.  That's why a small drive is enough for me for the OS.  However, I like my 160GB RAID-0 better for speed. :D

ikon

Nuthin' wrong with that.... as long as there's adequate backup, which I'm sure you have ;)