RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
HolisticDeveloper

What type of drive ships with the N54L?

HolisticDeveloper

It looks like the N54L always comes with a 250 GB drive. Does anybody know what type of drives those are, or what the specs are?

jmwills

They're HP branded, but there are only a few makers left.  I doubt they are WD.

schoondoggy

I think mine came with a Seagate, 7200 rpm.

jmwills

My bad...I was thinking N40L's.  I've not stepped up to the 54's yet.  Not ready for quads.

cskenney

My N54L has a 250GB Seagate 7200 RPM drive.  It is the same model that was in my N40L.  Both of my systems came from Newegg (if that makes a difference).

I am curious why you ask?

Joe_Miner

Like Chris said it's the same 250GB Seagate 7200 RPM drive we got in our N40L's from Newegg last year.  The Seagate Drive has the HP part number VB0250EAVER on it and is listed in their HP Support Document -- interestingly, it's listed as Hot-Plugable, 250GB, 3GB/s SATA 7200RPM -- IMHO the performance isn't so great unless you put 2 or more in a RAID0 -- if you're looking for more of the 250GB drives you could go with the "White Label" or the Seagates at GoHardDrive.

UhClem

The drive that came with (both of) my N40L is the same model JoeM posted. A cursory test of the drive gives the impression of a rather mediocre performer; its max transfer rate is only 100-110 MB/s. (For comparison a Hitachi 5K3000 2TB is 130-140.)

BUT it has very respectable access time. Avg access time (seek+latency) is 12.7ms. (The 5K3000 is 19.5ms). If you restrict that test to a 10% zone (~25GB), it drops to 8.5ms.

And (back on transfer rates), unlike every other drive I've tested recently where the transfer rate drops to about 50% of maximum once you get to "end" (full capacity zone), the 250GB guy only drops to about 75% of max (75-80 MB/s). [ie, the entire physical surface is not utilized.]

Joe_Miner

Like Chris said it's the same 250GB Seagate 7200 RPM drive we got in our N40L's from Newegg last year.  The Seagate Drive has the HP part number VB0250EAVER on it and is listed in their HP Support Document -- interestingly, it's listed as Hot-Plugable, 250GB, 3GB/s SATA 7200RPM -- IMHO the performance isn't so great unless you put 2 or more in a RAID0 -- if you're looking for more of the 250GB drives you could go with the "White Label" or the Seagates at GoHardDrive.

Here's some performance Data on the VB0250EAVER:

gallery_1229_27_32104.jpg

LoneWolf

The same Seagate 7200rpm that came with the N40L.  I believe it's a 7200.12.

I had the N40L (bought last fall) and now the N54L.  Drives were identical.  It's a single-platter unit, reasonable quality.  First thing I removed though, as at best, it's a starter drive and I needed more capacity.

huntMT

I was wondering about the 250gb hard drive that comes with the N54L?  From what I understand from this thread, the 250gb drive is a LFF or 3.5 inch hard drive.  Is this 250gb drive mounted in one of the 4 drive caddies or trays, reducing the available bays to 3?  Does the N54L include drive bays/caddies. or are these purchased separately? 

Thanks,