RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Just wanted a simple backup...

Zimmer

Good afternoon everyone,

I recently resurrected my EX470 and currently have a 2TB WB Green drive in it. I couldn't really figure out what to do with it since I got my N54L. I decided to have the EX470 back my movies and pictures from the N54L. So I wrote a little batch file that will wake the EX470, copy the files from the N54L and then let Light Out put the EX470 back to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity. The problem seems to be that my xcopy command will create the folders on the EX470 but not copy the files in the folder. For example:  

xcopy D:\SharedFolders\Videos\*.* \\Media2\Videos /s /e /m /v /y

What I was expecting to happen is that my subfolders and files in the Videos directory would get copied to the Videos folder on Media2(EX470). Now the folders do get created but the files do not get copied. I thought it was a rights issue but from my N54L I can access the Videos folder by typing \\Media2\Videos and the folder opens. I can create folders and delete them so I can't say it's a rights thing.

The reason why I wanted to copy my movies to that folder is so that I can add another drive to the EX470 and then turn on duplication. I noticed that when I created a folder at root of the drive on the EX470 and pointed my copies there, it worked great but it doesn't offer me the ability to duplicate like one of the default/built in directories like Videos.

So come on guys and bless me with your knowledge....thanks!

First, never, ever, use XCOPY to copy large files, or large quantities of files - it simply is not reliable for these purposes. Use RoboCopy instead.

Second, which OS are you running on the server? If it's WHS2011 or Win7, then RoboCopy is included with the OS. Otherwise, you can download it for free from MS.

First, never, ever, use XCOPY to copy large files, or large quantities of files - it simply is not reliable for these purposes. Use RoboCopy instead.

Second, which OS are you running on the server? If it's WHS2011 or Win7, then RoboCopy is included with the OS. Otherwise, you can download it for free from MS.

Hey Ikon,

I'm running WS 2012E. I'm guessing RoboCopy is included?

Thanks. I wasn't sure about WSE2012.

Good morning Ikon,

Yes Robocopy was there. So I went ahead and tried to copy and got the same thing...folders copy but files don't. Can't figure out what I'm missing. :mellow:

Good morning Ikon,

Yes Robocopy was there. So I went ahead and tried to copy and got the same thing...folders copy but files don't. Can't figure out what I'm missing. :mellow:

What Syntax are you using?